• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying '99 XJ, have questions - Help!

JeEpInG DeAtH

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own a 94 YJ w/ a 4.5" RE ED lift, 33" MTRs, 6Cyl, Auto. As you can imagine, it's not a very smooth ride, and is my DD.

I am thinking of buying an XJ, below:

1999 Cherokee 48K miles, 6cyl, Auto, Select Track 4wd, Full power options, D30 front, Corp 8.25 rear, 3.55 gears.Good condition overall, good paint, and has the following mods:

ARB Front Bumper, Custom rear bumper w/ swingaway tire carrier
5 - 15x8 alloys w/ 33" Super Swampers
Skyjacker 8" RR lift
Tom woods sye/driveshaft
Sway bar quick disco
Bushwacker flares
Piaa Offroad lights

My big question is this (other than is it a good deal):

I'm not sure how well this will perform on road with the 8" lift. Will it be better or worse than my YJ? Can anything be done that might sacrifice a little trail capability for better on-road manners (replace heims, etc)?

I think I can buy it for around $9,000 or so. I'm definately interested if it will ride decent (not scary on highway), or if I can make a few mods to make it that way. Seems like it might need a gear change right away, 3.55 doesnt seem optimal right off the bat, and I'd probably switch the tires to my 33x12.5x15 MTR's as they are brand spankin new...

Looking for some help from an experienced NAXJ member, and hope to be an XJ member soon.

1. It should be fine.

2. when you get it, take out the coils and add some RE 4.5" or 5.5" coils and 4.5" springs. thats alot of lift for little 33s.

3. Thats not a great deal, I'd sell mine right now for $8k and it has 73k hwy miles and was completely stock as of December 2005.

x2 with the 5.5 springs easily clear the 33's and with some cutting fit 35's

In the snow that thing is gonna be scary to drive. That's alot of lift for a DD. You could build one for alot cheaper also. Set it up the way you like.

Dirt said:
You could build one for alot cheaper also. .

Doubt that, mine was stock in November when I bought it with 63k and it was $6800. Doubt for $2,200 you could get a stocker to where this one mentioned is, plus it has even less miles.

So maybe removing the 8" skyjacker coils and springs, replacing them with RE 4.5" coils and springs, and changing gearing to like 4.56's, swapping my MTR's for the Super Swampers (don't like them)? Think I'd get a decent (bear in mind my current rig) highway ride with that setup? Thanks for all the responses!

sounds like a plan.

Back