• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

?s on 30 spline d60 rear....

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Looking at possible getting a 1985 Dodge d60 rear thats set up for an XJ and has disc brakes. Besides that its stock - 30 spline shafts, 3.55s, 68-69" width.I'd put this off, but the guy is semi-local and is asking $300 for it.

Just wondering as is what kinda tire could this safely hold?

Also, can these alxes be bored out (or whatever) to accept 35 spline shafts?

Do they make wheels 8"-10" wide wheels that have zero backspacing?

My other "big" concern is I am running about 6" of lift, am I gonna need to modify anything suspension wise to flex this honker? Already cut fenders and will be plating unibody and have a total of 5" more bumpstop than stock in the rear.

That's way too much to pay for a 30 spline 60 that is full-width. You can get them all day at the local Pick-a-Part for $100.

The disk brakes may be worth somthing, if they are executed correctly, however.

CRASH said:
That's way too much to pay for a 30 spline 60 that is full-width. You can get them all day at the local Pick-a-Part for $100.

The disk brakes may be worth somthing, if they are executed correctly, however.

Ohh I can get rear d60s for free, just this one is setup for an XJ and has discs.

Spring pads and disks are worth $300 to you?

Now if it was 35 spline and/or narrowed, that would be a bargain.

CRASH said:
Spring pads and disks are worth $300 to you?

Yes and he is asking $300, I offered $200.

Think about what it's going to cost you to get it set up in non-ghetto way:

Locking diff: $650
Narrowed with semi-float ends: $300
35 spline shafts: $400
R&P: $400

Spring pads and disks are really cheap in comparison.

If you really want a 60, start with a virgin HD unit from a Dodge and build what YOU want, don't start with someone elses junk.

I don't know man I mean I don't weld or fab and brakes/perches are worth $200.

Is there any great difference from a 85 dodge d60 rear and 78 F350 d60 rear? I ask cause I have the F350 housing sitting at a buds house, its rustys as hell and the seals/bearings/shafts are all toast.

Sorry for bringing back an older post, but for a good rear disc conversion, what would be a good rotor and caliper to use? Caliper brackets will be homebrew units. Picking up a 78 Ford 60 in the next week, wanting to get rid of the huge drums.

I'm running a D60 from a mid '80s Dodge 3/4ton 2WD truck in the back of my XJ.

The spring perches already match so all that needs to be done is weld on some shock mounts. Also 68" WMS seems wide, mine is 65".

What are you going to match it up to in the front? Its 8 bolt so that limits thigns a bit.

$300 seems a bit much unless the discs are worth that to you.

woody431 said:
Sorry for bringing back an older post, but for a good rear disc conversion, what would be a good rotor and caliper to use? Caliper brackets will be homebrew units. Picking up a 78 Ford 60 in the next week, wanting to get rid of the huge drums.

Usually Chevy 3/4 rotors and calipers. That what I put on the one I built.

86c326d1.jpg

the rotors are about $30 each, calipers are $25 each, pads are $20, and the studs are a whopping $2.50 each, and never instock, i beleive theyre for a ford f350 front.

theres also a $15 core on each caliper

Back