• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thinkin about a 99 XJ

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
so my friend is thinkin about buyin a 99 XJ classic 4x4 auto with i think 129,000 miles. is there anything about a 99 that we would need to look for i mean i checked out a few normal generic XJ issues but i wanted to know if there is anything that is 99 specific that i should check out. also i noticed its auto driver window wouldnt automatically go down when u tap the switch. it goes up and down just fine but it just wont automatically go down when u tap the switch and i definately tapped it hard enough

Ben824 said:
so my friend is thinkin about buyin a 99 XJ classic 4x4 auto with i think 129,000 miles. is there anything about a 99 that we would need to look for i mean i checked out a few normal generic XJ issues but i wanted to know if there is anything that is 99 specific that i should check out. also i noticed its auto driver window wouldnt automatically go down when u tap the switch. it goes up and down just fine but it just wont automatically go down when u tap the switch and i definately tapped it hard enough

That auto function freaks me out ;)
I had my seat frame fall apart on my 98'. Kind of annoying. I took the seat apart and had it TIG welded back together. The only other problem I can think of is the minor intermittent communication problem with the dash which causes the dash to go dead for a little bit, then come back. Since most units don't ever exibit the problem, or do only occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it.

For the auto window, you need to press it pretty firmly. I don't know what the electrical mechanism here is, whether it's a relay or what, but it requires that you hold it for a bit longer than a tap.

I have read here that at some point in the 99 model run a head casting change occurred which may lead to risk of cracked heads. You might do a search here for the subject and maybe it will tell you when that occurred. My early 99 appears not to be one of them, fortunately.

So far I'm pretty pleased with my recently acquired 99, and haven't found any 99-specific gripes other than the poor storage and the lack of front wing windows, and the fact that it looks as if it will be somewhat harder to take off the bumpers when I get around to doing the hitch and towhooks.

Improvements over the 95 include much better hand brake, better belt tensioning arrangement, and better wiper controls.

My 99 window is same way. I like the dual air bags-older ones didn't have them-I installed a 2 in rockyroad lift and 31 in tires - love it.

love every minute of my 99, but here are some specific things to look out for.

A/C evaporator...its gonna go bad, they all do, mines currently leaking..$700 dealer repair. Cost of the evaportator and an entire day to pull the dash apart if you wanna do it yourself and save a crap load of money.

Window regulators....just had one of mine go out (ironically after i drove 4 hours to the beach). I rolled my window down and it wouldn't come out. Motor and regulator are one unit, so you have to replace it all...about $130 from the dealer and i'm almost certain they'll be in stock. My dealer had about 6 or 7 when I had to get mine last month. Pretty simple and straight forward to replace.

As mentioned above, you want to look at the casting on the Head. The 2000's were more noted for cracking between the #3&4 cylinders. To check, take the oil cap off and shine a flash light down there. if you see what appears to be a crusty material forming on the head inside, thats a sign of a leak. Almost certain if it's been overheated in the past. There is still arguement over weather or not this is a 2000 only problem. Some say the late 99's had the same heads. I've got a 99 that was built in September of 99, and mine is just fine. The good heads on the 99's have a casting of 0630, and the bad ones have a casting of 0331. To find this, it's locted on the outside, inbetween the valve cover and the head, about halfway down the engine on the drivers side. Really easy to see unless the engine is covered in gunk.

Turn signal switches...pretty common problem with the newer modles. When mine went out, my symptoms were left turn signal worked occasionally in the rear, and when it didn't, the hazards would come on, but ONLY on the rear signals...the front were fine. I've seen about 5 or 6 other XJ's around town of the same generation with this problem. Replace the switch when this happens and your good to go.

Those are pretty much the only 99 specific things to look out for. The gas guage is gonna be off most of the time, they're all like that. And watch the left turns when you have 1/4 or less in your gas tank. The gas will slosh around in there and starve the pump, thus causing a stall or almost stall out condition. I've gotten pretty good at restarting mine in the middle of an intersection when this happens.

Back