• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ no start

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, my dad's XJ rebelled today. It doesn't want to start. It's a 94 XJ so that means no clutch interlock (it's a stick).
Symptomps: you hear click click in the relays as the key is turned (I will try swapping relays tomorrow, but for now I have only reseated them). I checked all the fuses in the engine bay. I have checked the battery: it's got over 12V and at the moment of the ignition turn voltage does not drop at all meaning the starter is not getting power. I unplugged and replugged the CPS sensor. I've unplugged and replugged that sensors that kind of hangs in the engine bay close to the firewall above the motor (MAP?).

Also things that were tried: with the truck in gear I have pushed it just in case the flywheel or something was stuck at an odd position (damn thing is a bitch to push in gear!).

Any other thoughts/suggestions? Also does anyone know if the relays are same for the under the hood stuff between the 97 and 94? I looked at couple of the numbers and they didn't match. Also it seemed like there were two sets of different relays there in the first place (not all same like in my 97 and 98).

Thanks

I would check the starter solenoid, and bat volts when cracking over , but probably starter solenoid.

To make sure ist not battery , boost it and if it still makes clicking sound probably starter solenoid.

jeepdude10000 said:
I would check the starter solenoid, and bat volts when cracking over , but probably starter solenoid.

To make sure ist not battery , boost it and if it still makes clicking sound probably starter solenoid.
If it wasn't that someone up the street washed his car or something and there was a fair amount of water flowing right under the jeep I would have tried the hammer test on the selenoid, but I will try it (or rather my dad will) tomorrow.

Kejtar, I'm betting it has a bad battery. I once had one that checked 12.2v, that would click when trying to start. Even after re-charging it still wouldn't start. A new battery fixed it.

BTW, a new battery will show about 12.4-12.5v. A 'good' one will show around 12.2-12.4v. Anything under 12.2 is marginal at best and wearing out. Voltmeter checks are rough checks, and don't take the place of proper load checks, but they can give you an idea of the battery's condition.

I'd clean and tighten the battery connections first, and then try to jump-start it with another battery.

I have a 94 also and had the same problem did a new battrey and starterstill no start it was battrey cable the old cable was o.e. and had acid wear yiu could not see it.

Sounds like a starter to me also.

you said that hte relays click. You mean the small relays, small click (that you can barly hear), right? Not a LOUD click from the starter?

Whack it good with the hammer. If that doesn't do the trick take a screwdriver and jump the connections between the large 4g wire on the starter and the connector for the 10g wire (solenoid trigger wire). If the starter is good it WILL turn at that point so make damn sure that it's in neutral!

Back