• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 tranny question.

cheepin said:
What is the difference between a 2Wd AX-15 and a 4WD one?
The 4WD version mounts directly to the transfercase, while the 2WD has an extension housing. It is possible to convert one style to the other, if that's what you're getting at.

Mambeu said:
The 4WD version mounts directly to the transfercase, while the 2WD has an extension housing. It is possible to convert one style to the other, if that's what you're getting at.

It's possible, but it requires a a lot of work and a donor to get the output shaft. At that point you might as well rebuild and install the donor tranny.

Yeah,Thats what I thought.I got an '89 for free it is 2WD.Came from Florida(go figure)I am wanting to swap the motor and injection into my '80 CJ-7.Was thinking of using the tranny at the same time and adapting my dana 300 t-case to it.I am just researching different options of what to do with this rig.

Back