• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump...searched for a half hour

MoparManiac

NAXJA Forum User
'91 4.0/AW4/NP231/D30 8.25

Hey guys, recently I have been having this problem where the jeep cuts out on me when coming to a stop.

It has never done it while driving at high speeds, only when at idle or anything less than 15 mph (its happened about 3-4 times in the past month or so).

It had always started back up after about 10 minutes (thought maybe something was getting hot or was the CPS).

Finally, I was out on a trail and it cut out. I tried to start it and it just kept cranking.

I checked for spark going to the dist and had a yellow spark about half an inch long or so.

Got home and checked for fuel coming from the pump (pulled off the hose going into the fuel filter) and a little came out when i first pulled it off and then nothing came out while cranking it.

The fuel pump is making the normal humming and i tried jumping both the fuel pump relay in the box under the hood and the ballast resistor on the fenderwell.

EDIT: Ok wow sorry guys I should have looked at the post below this one titled "jeep just quit" he had the same problem

Last edited:
Ok well I noticed in his post he said it was louder than normal, but mine hasn't been. Maybe like once out of the 4 times its cut out on me the pump was louder than normal but other than that it's been normal.

Took the pump out and ran some water through it and it puts out a lot of pressure (can't stop the flow with my finger), and then put the pump back in and the jeep started up fine.

Any thoughts? Maybe just not getting enough voltage? I'm stumped here and I just want my jeep to be somewhat reliable

sometimes there are troubles with connections at the fuel pump in the tank... the connectors dont make good contact and overheat causing even less continuity. sounds like yours...

Ok well my pump was under warranty so I got a new one from the dealer.

I'm gonna throw that in there this weekend and check all the connections and hoses while I'm at it. I'll report back with anything I find. Thanks digger

Back