• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 transmission pump seal & bushing

Lowmile89

NAXJA Forum User
Tranny fluid is pouring out of the front of my jeep. I've been told that the front seal is a common problem and a major mistake is people don't replace the bushing to go along with it leading to repeated failure. Does anyone have any experiance? Is there a good online site to buy the parts I need?

I didn't replace the bushing on the last couple front pump seals I changed, and they're still just fine. You do want to check the TC snout to make sure it's not grooved (one point) and make sure you're changing the correct seal (another point to consider.)

The torque converter snout can have a similar problem to crankshafts, in that a small amount of grit can get embedded in the lip of the seal, and wear a slight groove into the snout. This means that the seal lip won't have enough tension to seal properly, and it will leak (and it's not the fault of the seal - I consider it the installer's fault.) The fix for that is usually a sleeve of thin metal that is either driven onto the snout, or heated up and slipped on, and allowed to cool (it's a press-fit.) This provides a new sealing surface.

The other seal there is the front pump housing seal - think of an O-ring, about 8 inches across. This one requires partial disassembly of the transmission - the front pump needs to be unbolted, and the bore and O-ring groove cleaned before the new seal can go in. A little grease on reassembly helps prevent chafing the new O-ring as well (don't ask how I know...)

5-90

Back