• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free Ford 8.8

JIMBOJAMES

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my buddy has an explorer that he is going to trash its an early 90s explorer. Is the 8.8 out of these any good I know it doesnt have disk brakes but it is free. Are still as strong as the 95-01 ones?

yes. Take it, anything is better than the 35.
Someone in the MWC is running an 8.8 with drums. Works just fine. Might want to do a search under his username.
Haleyes
well, i see he's viewing.
Hi Mike :)
How's nick?

Well I have actually have a 8.25 but with 27 spline axles. I want to upgrade and be able to run 4.88s. I dont think it is worth it to dump funds into my 8.25.

Only difference is in the tubing. Sometime in 95, they went to DOM for the axle tubes. Before that, it was HREW.

Free is better than $100 which is what I paid for mine. Mine has drums and only had IIRC, 20,xxx miles on it. It came out of an 2001 Sport Trac.
Pretty simple swap really. Let me know if you have an Q's, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

The 8.8 is a better axle than your current 27 spline. I'd swap it out.

It is comparable to the dana 44 I am told. Maybe I will snag that rear and is it possible to swap a Disk brake conversion? I am thinking yes since it mostly the same axle.

Haleyes said:
Free is better than $100 which is what I paid for mine. Mine has drums and only had IIRC, 20,xxx miles on it. It came out of an 2001 Sport Trac.
Pretty simple swap really. Let me know if you have an Q's, I'd be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

The 8.8 is a better axle than your current 27 spline. I'd swap it out.
didnt 96+ Have discs?

Mine was from a Sport Trac, the truck version of the Explorer. Not all had discs, cause I got one!

JIMBOJAMES said:
So is anyone running a pre 95 8.8 axle?

Yes, plenty of people, including me.

I ran it for a few years out of a 91 exploder. All exploder 8.8 rear ends had 31 spline, but not all rangers. Pretty easy swap, stronger than 8.25, and I believe even stronger than D44.

To do a disc swap is as easy as go to the junk yard but a 8.8 with disc brakes, take them off with all the hardware and bolt them on your axle, remeber though you will need to bolt onto a brake proportion valve to feed the disc brakes. Also find a wielding shop to weld the axle tubes to the housing, they have a tendicy to rotate under heavy loads.

xjkenny said:
How much stronger is the 8.8 over a 29 spline 8.25?

Quite a bit. I beat the sh!t out of mine on 35s for a while and I was not afraid to use the gas pedal either since I had a 44 in the front. I know there have been issues with those who run traction bars but I don't.

Back