• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer discs on a D44

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a factory D44 for really cheap and would like to do a rear disc swap before putting it under my Cherokee. I've read about using Crown Vic discs but, I'm not too hot on the forward backward positioning of the calipers and the way the e-brake cables are set up, I like the ZJ set up but, haven't been able to locate any (that haven't been picked clean) in the yards, I have, though, come across quite a few Explorer 8.8s lately (if I hadn't stumbled onto the D44, I'd have picked one of those up) and the set up seems very similar to the Crown Vic's and was wondering if anybody has knowledge of or has done the swap and is it basically the same as the Crown Vic?-------Hans

I'm in the process of a D44 swap also. I decided on the crown vic discs because the brackets bolt up. I believe the explorer bolt pattern is different so you would have to drill the bracket. I plan on flipping the crown vic bracket on the passengerside. It will be a pain to bleed that brake but the ebrake cable will line up better with the bracket flipped. You could always pull the explorer calipers and mount them to the crown vic brackets. That way you don't have to remove the caliper in order to bleed it. I hear the explorer calipers are a little smaller than the crown vics so thats the trade off...easier maintenance -vs- more braking power.

All this info was found on this naxja...search is your friend.

Jeepin Jason said:
if you haven't sunk any money into the D44 yet, why not sell it and get one of the 8.8's instead?
I like the fact that the D44 is a total bolt in, no spring perches to move, shock mounts to fab, no C-clips, it being the correct width and the driveshaft bolts right up. I know, I hate to pull apart a complete 8.8 but, I'm pretty sure if I don't, some OTHER knucklehead will. I'll look at a Crown Vic and compare the housing ends and, by the way, flipping the caliper and bracket on the Crown Vic set up would put one e-brake arm above and one below the axle and make for some interesting cable adapting......besides, I'm really into symmetry--------Hans

keep looking for the ZJs. I used to think there were none in my area but finally I've found 2 yards with a couple of ZJs each. One even had drums in the rear!!

Anyways, I'm about to do the D44 swap, because I found one cheap (125) and it's bolt on. I'm going to do the ZJ discs too because they want 20 bux for a set of backing plates.

Now I don't know this from personal experience, but I'm sure that the 8.8 discs could be made to fit. I believe that people get them onto 8.25s, correct?? The bolt pattern is the same, in terms of the lugs. Not positive on the axle flange, but I know the ZJs you have to just drill the 4 holes out to the next drillbit size to fit. I don't imagine it could be much harder than that to throw 8.8 brackets on there, but again, I don't know for sure, but if you can get em, it's worth a try.

Well, I went and got them.....$52 for the calipers, brackets rotors and the soft lines (the complete set up). I went and looked at a Crown Vic housing end and it looks (looks, I haven't verified this yet) identicle to the Explorer's. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get into it-------Hans

wow, 52 bux is a deal!! But it would be wise to take those junk yard calipers and trade them in for the core charge and get brand new loaded calipers. Ofcourse, chances are if they looked alright that they are, but the small price for the calipers after your core charge will be worth the peace of mind.

Oatmeal said:
Well, I went and got them.....$52 for the calipers, brackets rotors and the soft lines (the complete set up). I went and looked at a Crown Vic housing end and it looks (looks, I haven't verified this yet) identicle to the Explorer's. I'll let you guys know how it goes when I get into it-------Hans

Crown Vic Plates bolt right onto a XJ 44. So to make it easy, if the explorer stuff bolts right on, then they are the same.

Here's an update (if you guys are interested) on my disc brake swap. Well, the caliper bracket mounting holes were sooo...close but, not going to just bolt on so, instead of welding up the holes (makes it real tough to drill through) I punched some 1/2" holes through some 5/16" plate and I'm going to press the slugs into the existing holes (plug welded in strategic spots) and then, redrill the new pattern. Good news is the center holes on the brackets don't need to be opened up....they're plenty big. I'm going to press some slugs into the Rubicon retainer plates and redrill them as well then, I think I'll cut them in half and tack weld them to the original retainers (the bearings and seals are still in excellent shape so I don't want to press them off to get the new retainers on) and just use longer bolts. As for the parking brake cables, I picked up some drum brake parking brake levers at Pick-A-Part (I love that place) and I'm going to cut off the ends and bolt or weld them to the Explorer levers for a really clean install. What do you guys think? Sorry, don't have a digital camera and I don't think I'd know how to post pictures anyway but, I'll let you know how it turns out.---------Hans

Well, I finally got it put together and under my Jeep, changed out the proportioning valve spring to one from a Grand and modified the e-brake cables ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=90402 ) I also used the Explorer's hoses (much longer than the XJ's) and bent up and flared new hard lines.......whew! it was alot of work (looks factory!) but, man was it worth it! It stops sooo much better! And best of all.......I've got less than $200 into it! I wish I had a digital camera so that I could share my joy (lol!) Anybody want to buy my 8.25 and D44 brakes?------Hans

Back