• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end alignment?

DIKASUN

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 4x4 XJ and at 45-55mph theres a side to side wobbling thats getting worse and worse. My front left tire is worn all the way around on the inside edge, but especially in one spot. I think I probably need a front end alignment. Does anyone know about what it costs to do that, or if theres anything else this could be? It has original stock suspension btw.

Last edited:
Front end alignment costs vary from place to place. Just to give you one quote, the local Jeep dealer here in town gets about $50 for a front end, and $100 for a 4-wheel.

However, when my Jeep was being repaired at the body shop from the accident, their 4-wheel alignment was listed as costing $67.....not too bad if you ask me, and they did a great job aligning it.

How you gonna 4 wheel align a solid axle vehicle?

An alignment would be a good place to start. Probably about 90.00 or so at a dealership just to put it on a machine and adjust the toe and caster. You may have a negative camber issue if I read your post right. In which case you may run into spending some money.

Your shake is almost definitely in your tires. You need to replace your tires (at least your front tires) and get an alignment. An alignment runs $70 - $120 around me, depending on where you go. Any good alignment shop will check the front end (tie rods, ball joints, etc) before actually doing the alignment. The tires and front end components must all be in good shape for a proper alignment. Also, a tire that's badly worn on the edge(s) is a serious safety hazard.

You may have a little negative camber, but I'm willing to bet the toe is out pretty far based on the tire wear you describe.

centralmax said:
get new tires.. then if you still have the problem get an alignment

If his tires are worn severly on the inside edge, the new tires will wear the same way quickly without an alignment. Unless he loves to spend money on tires, the new tires and alignment should go hand-in-hand.

anony91xj said:
If his tires are worn severly on the inside edge, the new tires will wear the same way quickly without an alignment. Unless he loves to spend money on tires, the new tires and alignment should go hand-in-hand.

i was just gonna say that. my dad works for firestone so i'll take it up there so they can check it out tomorrow.

Back