• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does your Xj ride?

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I just lifted mine and I'm wondering how my ride is compared to yours? Tell me how yours rides and sounds.
(2000, 3in, auto, 235 bft a/t's, shocks that came with kit, non-nitro)

I have a 3in lift. Black Dimond springs up front and RE 3.5 Super Duty packs in the rear.

My new front springs were the same length as my stockers, so they are obviously tight. I like them on the road and trail. I can hear alot more noise from the front. Pot holes are much louder and there is much more clickin and clack up front.

My RE rears are stiff as well. When trail riding especialy. They seem to make the most noise when I am dropping off a ledge, like when you roll over a log. They really bang on the down side, is this normal?

As always Thanks,

Tom

Stiffer than stock but better in turns. Only really big, sharp bumps feel worse than stock. Sounds like tires, shouldn't have waited so long to rotate them.

"Rides? Like a brick truck with no bricks.
Sounds? Like a cement mixer full of pop cans and tennis shoes, and a bad cam."

ROTFLMAO

I was gonna say that mine rides & sounds like a derailed train...complete with screaming passengers. My trail rig is a bit worse...

But they have personality

My 89 with RE4.5" coils and dakota springs rides real smooth. I do get some thunks from my rusty's LCAs though

When you drop over an obstacle or ledge and your rear kinda bangs, it is. Do what I didn't, and extend your rear bump stops muy pronto. Trust me. Dann

Dann said:
When you drop over an obstacle or ledge and your rear kinda bangs, it is. Do what I didn't, and extend your rear bump stops muy pronto. Trust me. Dann

???? Explain.

Last night I was scouting out some deer hunting spots and I drove over a 4in high rock on the two track and when I came over the other side I got a bang'n sound. If I go super slow it's fine. I don't think it flexed more than an inch over a small rock like that??

thanks

00xj --

Have a weighty friend or two help you cycle your rear suspension while the truck is parked. If your new springs have a lot of travel, what may happen is when the springs are compressed the rear shackles swing back far enough to contact the bumper bracket bolts, two of which on each side extend into the spring shackle mount pocket.

By all means, head for a dealer (or a Crown dealer) and get a set of the tall bump stops.

or you can cut those bolts down. I suppose 4" rocks arent that big of a deal, but on bigger drops you could be bottiming your DS, though that is pretty unlikely.
What it could be is the higher spring rate of the packs unloading and shooting downward really fast as you come off of something. This happens with my springs offroad when I have my adjustable shocks set too low.

At three inches of lift it is real common to have binding problems in the front yoke of the rear drive shaft. If the banging happens when the vehicle rebounds and lifts up it could be this.

What brand are the shocks?

I have the skyjacker 6" lift so the heims are loud as all hell. And there are more heims on the shocks. The rear springs are mad stiff so I got rid of the rear sway bar, now it rides like a race car. It is also a unibody so you do not have body mounts to mask the sounds. I just took off the cat and 3000 watts worth of stereo so I just tune out the road noise.

Real stiff compared to stock...but it handles MUCH better...as for the noise...nuthin' I can't fix with a couple hundred watts and a Travis Tritt CD....LOL

By all means cycle your suspension and see if anything is hitting or binding, that is very important any time you install new components.

New springs are usually reasonably stiff, after they get some use they usually will soften up a bit also. My 4.5" lift is nice and soft, I could never compare it to stock again but it is perfect for what I want.

Michael

Rancho 3" coils in the front

Tomken 4" leaves in the rear

Bilstein 5100's

Front rides frim/stiff but smooth. Handles way better then stock is great over the rough stuff. Can blast down just about any rough road with no problem.

Rear is very rough and rides like an unloaded pickup truck, bouncy. Rides real nice when loaded with rear passs and gear though.

My stock height 2000 rides like a brick, thats why Im eventually selling her. Getting a C5, mmmmmm........Corvette.

Jeep or Corvette...hmm different animals. Youll be wishing that rough riding XJ was still in your driveway when mother nature starts dumping white stuff all over again or if your not geographically situated, when the winter rains begin. I say keep em both. If you can afford a new Vette, you surely should be able to hold on to a 2000XJ. I have friends who have Vettes as their only car and I dont see the point, they hardly get to use the thing seems like the weather or time of year is never right.

XJguy

Back