• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pilot bearing problem.

rguy

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a problem getting a pilot bearing/bushing to fit in the back of the crank in my '90 4.0L. I've found a bearing and a bushing that are supposed to fit, but don't. The O.D. of the bearing/bushing is 1.054, but I can't get it in the crank; however, the I.D. of the bearing/bushing is correct for the transmission. I was able to find a beairng with a 1.000 O.D. that will fit the crank but the I.D. is too big for the transmission shaft. What gives? :(

Any help is appreicated.

Rob

if the bushing is just to big , it looks to be just slightly, I would just grind or sand the out side little by little all the way around and check the fit offen, you dont want to be loose, just really really snug.

Something is wrong here! The bearing should fit the flywheel and transmission.:doh: When I did mine the bearing pressed into the flywheel pretty tight. It took awhile to get it started, but went right in after aligning it. A shop press works much better.

Midnight Krawler said:
Something is wrong here! The bearing should fit the flywheel and transmission.:doh: When I did mine the bearing pressed into the flywheel pretty tight. It took awhile to get it started, but went right in after aligning it. A shop press works much better.

The engine is still in the XJ.

jeepdude10000 said:
if the bushing is just to big , it looks to be just slightly, I would just grind or sand the out side little by little all the way around and check the fit offen, you dont want to be loose, just really really snug.

thanks.

Midnight Krawler said:
Do you have the old bearing? Measure and compare the two.

Installing this bearing while laying under the jeep can be a real pain. Try freezing the bearing first. Hope this helps.

I don't have the old bearing, but freezing it is an excellent idea.

rguy said:
I'm having a problem getting a pilot bearing/bushing to fit in the back of the crank in my '90 4.0L. I've found a bearing and a bushing that are supposed to fit, but don't. The O.D. of the bearing/bushing is 1.054, but I can't get it in the crank; however, the I.D. of the bearing/bushing is correct for the transmission. I was able to find a beairng with a 1.000 O.D. that will fit the crank but the I.D. is too big for the transmission shaft. What gives? :(

Any help is appreicated.

Rob

If you still have the original '90 4.0 and original '90 transmission, you'll need pilot bearing no. 33004041 from the stealership.

Back