• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

compressor and clutch question...

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
My g/f still has the 98 xj ive been sinking money into for some reason and this time i hear loud noise coming from pass. side front of the engine bay, mostly at an idle. Anyways, i turn on the a.c or defroster....looking at the compressor i see the clutch kick in, when it starts the noise goes away, when it stops, the noise comes back, its almost like bad bearings or something. Is this a mandatory fix? Can i replace just the clutch part of the compressor if possible or should i just get a whole new compressor? Thanks for any info...searched but all i found w/ stuff about a.c just not working.

JeepXJ93 said:
My g/f still has the 98 xj ive been sinking money into for some reason and this time i hear loud noise coming from pass. side front of the engine bay, mostly at an idle. Anyways, i turn on the a.c or defroster....looking at the compressor i see the clutch kick in, when it starts the noise goes away, when it stops, the noise comes back, its almost like bad bearings or something. Is this a mandatory fix? Can i replace just the clutch part of the compressor if possible or should i just get a whole new compressor? Thanks for any info...searched but all i found w/ stuff about a.c just not working.
What kind of a loud noise?

at an idle, sounds like bad bearings....not really like a grinding noise...but something is moving and not properly lubricated...thats why i figured to relate it to bad bearings. Humming might describe it also. Any ideas?

I've seen that condition many times in different cars. You describe the classic symptom.

There is a bearing in the clutch pulley that goes bad. you can simply replace the clutch and fix the problem, or if you're thrify and handy type of guy, you can replace the bearing itself. It is hard to find but is availible.
There is no need to discharge the system when replacing the clutch/bearing.

is there any write ups that you know of for replacing just the clutch? Ive done the entire compressor before in a diff. car but never the separate clutch. Thanks...p.s...the compressor is gonna run me around 200 bux, if i can find the clutch separate somewhere am i better off money wise? Thanks again.

Definitely sounds like a bad idler bearing on the A/C compressor pulley. I don't know if you can get just a clutch assembly though (unless you pull one at a junkyard or something), you might have to buy the whole compressor.

If you can't find a local refrigeration shop that can get you a clutch, try a marine refrigeration source. The Sandon compressors are favorites for boat refrigeration, and clutches are readily available.

Not the clutch, but this place has the idler and bushing for it. Under $25 for both.

Dave

You should have no problem getting the clutch and/or bearings. I chanted the whole compressor a year ago, but the shop told me that they also sell the clutches and bearings, but the thing is that these compressors are made for different cars so they get the compressor from the manufacturer and then they put it together with the appropiate bearings and clutch for your applications.

The only downside is that they're located in Mexico, so you would possibly get a better price in the US. In case you're interested, the site is www.compresores.com.mx

Regards

Back