• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1986 2.8 cherokee

amhummer1994

NAXJA Forum User
i have an under powered 2.8 carborater cherokee automactic that is used for offroad only. my question is will a gm front wheel drive 3.1 bolt right in and i want to use the fuel injection to from the 3.1 i know i need the wiring and computer of of the car too. as any one done this? i do not want get another cherokee with the 4.0 or do a lot of motafing this one to fit a v-8 thanks joe [email protected]

A FWD V6-60 3.1L will NOT bolt up - the starter's on the wrong side. You'll want a RWD V6-60 block - get one out of an S-10/S-15 or an F-Body (Camaro, Firebird.) That doesn't mean don't check the FWD frames when you're looking for one - Goodwrench Service Replacements carried the start motor mount pad on BOTH sides, and you should see a location to mount the starter on the BACK side of the block (as mounted) if it's a service replacement in a FWD.

You can also, as you mentioned, take the FI setup off of a V6-60 (2.8L, 3.1L, and 3.4L) and bolt that in, but you'd need regular access to the donor to make it simple, or just take what you need with a "shotgun" approach.

5-90

I'm gonna say no because that's a newer generation block that wasn't designed for rwd applications. The engine mounting is different and I'd wonder if there's casting for a motor mount on the left side (firewall side) of the block.

Look for a 3.4 from the mid 90's Camaro's and Firebirds. I believe 94 to 96 are the right ones. Direct bolt in. Lots of information has been posted on doing these swaps.

EDIT: Ha ha, 5-90 and I musta hit submit at the same time...... but you got the info you need.

Back