• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker Panels on '93 XJ

Brian93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what the best thing to do for the money is on rusting rocker panels? My passenger side is about gone and my driver's side is starting to rust. Should I just bondo it and keep an eye on it or go the expensive route and have new ones welded in? Any help or anyone who can give me a deal on labor would be greatly appreciated.

JC whitney sells replacement rockers for the XJ for something like $25 or $30 per side. They can be welded in, or they can be screwed or pop riveted. I bought a set -- they are decent quality. Haven't put 'em on yet, but they look like they're going to fit.

If it is worth fixing, then it is worth doing right. I would not even consider bondo for fixing rust, it is only a filler (no structure to it). If you can really get new panels like Eagle recommended then go for that. If you can not find new panels for reasonable price then two other options are these.

1. kill all the rust, fiberglass them.
2. Kill all the rust, fill them, and then cover with rocker guard protection (steel or aluminum).

Michael

you could replace them with box steel too and get new rockers and rockrails at the same time. there are a few write ups on madxj.com about this

Back