• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BFG AT KO or Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor?

CantonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to replace the no-name, crap 235/75/15 street tires, that were on my XJ when I bought it, with some 30x9.5's. I've narrowed it down to the 2 mentioned in the subject. I've seen plenty of positive comments (thanks Search) on the BFG's, but very little about the Goodyear's. Anyone have experience with the Wranglers? I'm hoping I won't have any rubbing issues by going up 0.5"-0.75" in rolling diameter. I figure I may have to adjust the steering stops to avoid hitting the LCA's at full lock, but I've had no issues with the current tires. Judging from how it currently sits, what do you think? My off-roading is mainly limited to going out on fire calls for brush fires in Spring/Summer or getting either to the fire-house or incident for snowy winter-time calls. That and mostly light trails and fire roads for fishing/camping with my sons.

xj.jpg

Thanks.
Dave

Last edited:
I just put a set of BFG A/Ts on my 90 Cherokee(31x10.50). I could not be MORE HAPPY! I absolutely love them, I've heard they wear really well too but I obviously can't be much help on that since I have about 300 miles on them. They look really cool too in my opinion. Just one vote though.
-Collin

I have LT235/75R15 BFGs on my 88 XJ and I love them. I have no experience with Wranglers so I can not comment on them. I noticed over time that other tires always seem to be compared to the BFG ATs, so they seem to be the "standard".

I got tired of the "baseball card in the bike spokes" sound when I was close to a full left turn. I was losing 1/2 turn of my steering wheel. The modified board told me to go look at www.madxj.com for the LCA mod using 99 Grand Cherokee LCAs. I had my neighborhood garage install them and I had full steering again with 235s on the XJ. My 88 XJ came with P205/75R15 tires, so I went up 3 sizes. I have 15 x 6 rims so I can not go any larger. I hope you have 15 x 7 or larger rims if you want the 30s.

Remember if you change tires sizes you may need to change the speedo gear. I know 225 & 235/75R15 use the same gear, do a search on here to find the right gear for the tires you want to install.

CantonXJ said:
I've seen plenty of positive comments (thanks Search) on the BFG's, but very little about the Goodyear's. Anyone have experience with the Wranglers?

The SilentArmor is new... so there's probably very little known about it.

My XJ came with Wrangler RT/S tires... and I knew (during the first snowfall) that they were going to be replaced with something else when they wore out. Then I got a flat on one (screw in the sidewall!), and had to replace it for $135. (ulp!)

I can't honestly say that I have much good to say about any Goodyear tire we've owned. (Wrangler AP on a Ram, Wrangler RT/S on the Jeep, Eagle LS on a PT Cruiser, Wrangler AT on a Dakota [the best of the bunch]).

When they wore out (about 30k), I put on 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpion AT's. These appear to be discontinued/superceded now... but they were $85 then, and have lasted 35k. They're near replacement time. I'm straddling the fence right now, between blowing "big bucks" on BFG AT KO's, or just getting some cheap AT tire. Probably leaning toward the BFGs.

Den

DenLip said:
When they wore out (about 30k), I put on 235/75/15 Pirelli Scorpion AT's. These appear to be discontinued/superceded now... but they were $85 then, and have lasted 35k. They're near replacement time. I'm straddling the fence right now, between blowing "big bucks" on BFG AT KO's, or just getting some cheap AT tire. Probably leaning toward the BFGs.Den

The Pirelli Scorpion A/T was an awsome tire, nothing compares to it as an all round road and off road tire, NOTHING compares to it when dealing with wet roads either. I put my first set on when Sears had them on sale one weekend, had a coupon for $10 off per tire and another coupon for free mount and balance. Final tally was $69 per tire. At around 50K went back for 4 more and they had stopped selling them but had the BFG AT for like $130 ea, got dunlop rover AT's.
Picking up 5 30x9.50 AT/KO's with about 1,000mi on them, already mounted on canyons for $450 on thursday, he went to 35's on his TJ... They are going on our TJ...

We have BFG ATs on both our Cherokees and they are well worth the money. I found them cheapest at BJ's Wholesale Club.

Thanks guys! I just ordered the BFGs and should get them mounted up tomorrow. Got them for $134.10 ea., mounted and balanced.

Dave

CantonXJ said:
Thanks guys! I just ordered the BFGs and should get them mounted up tomorrow. Got them for $134.10 ea., mounted and balanced.

Dave

Kinda late now but you shoulda checked out BJ"s wholesale, I"ve gotten the LT235's there for $114 out the door w/roadhazard. More than paid for the membership and I was doing one oldsmobile with ittybitty tires, one XJ and two TJ's.... figure it saved me about $280 something or so over the local bargain tire store or sears...

Thanks anyhow Rich. I thought about BJ's, but they are somewhat "geographically undesirable" for me. I got them from Town Fair Tire which is 2 minutes from my office and got a free lifetime replacement road-hazard guarantee, free rotation for life, free alignment and price protection for 30 days. For me, it was worth a few bucks for the convenience of their location. I'll post a pic when I get them mounted.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback all! I got the 30x9.5 BFGs mounted today and on the short drive back to the office, they felt/rode/drove great. Much better than the turds that were on there. Now I'll just have to keep tabs on if/how my mileage changes. Sorry bout the crap camera phone poser pic.

jeepbfg.jpg

Dave

Last edited:
I'm replacing my BFG's (had a die grinder accident on the sidewall, don't ask), son has one BFG(new) and mine only have a couple of hundred miles on them so he'll get them and once again Wally World has a tire deal. 4 Goodyear Wranglers, 235x75x15...$239.00,mounted, balanced, road hazard, blah, blah,...or $200 just for the tires.

I have a stock 98xj and run 235 bfgs on those and if on the hwy I can still get 425 miles on one tank of gas. I love them for a DD tire. Rotate them every oil change 3000 miles nad they are lasting just fine. They still look pretty new, and I've had them for over a year now or just about a year. Well this set that is. The other set was used and I still got a good 50k out of them for a used set. They still had 35% tread when I got this last set. Just couldn't pass up the deal for 4 brand new ones.
I run the 32s on the 2001 lifted xj and they really haven't ever let me down on the road or off road. Not much for playing in deep mud. I am hooked on the MTRS and going to 35s when I get that rear D44 finished.

Back