• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U joint size

Natural Ice

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking for U-joints for the front end of my 2000 XJ, and discovered that there are two different sizes. One is 1.06 and the other is 1.187. One was for an 84-99 without ABS and the other was for a 00-01 with ABS. Mine is a 2000 without ABS, so I am wondering which size is right for my vehicle.

Natural Ice said:
I was looking for U-joints for the front end of my 2000 XJ, and discovered that there are two different sizes. One is 1.06 and the other is 1.187. One was for an 84-99 without ABS and the other was for a 00-01 with ABS. Mine is a 2000 without ABS, so I am wondering which size is right for my vehicle.

The computers are seriously missleading on this issue. IIRC, everthing post 97 has the larger joints. If in doubt though, you can see the caps, measure them :D

Thanks for the tip. I didn't want to rip it all apart and then have to go to the parts store. I didn't know they were visible to measure. The site I was on made it sound like I had to remove the entire axle in order to access them.

It's a little wiggly, but you should be able to access them enough to measure them with the vehicle on the ground - worst case, take the tyre/wheel off and you'll see them. The D30 is an "open knuckle" axle.

You'll have to dig a little deeper to change them - the tyre/wheel has to come off, the brake rotor has to come off, and the hub bearing assembly has to come off. You should then be able to pull the halfshaft out through the steering knuckle, replace the joint, and reinstall the shaft.

Do you have a U-joint press or a vise, or do you plan on taking them somewhere to do it? A vise and a couple sockets (one larger than the cup end, one just a touch smaller) will serve in a pinch.

I find it helpful to paint the caps with Never-Seez before they get pressed in - makes it easier to take them out next time (there will be a next time, don't you worry about that!)

5-90

Back