• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NV3550 Help

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
So last year I did an engine swap 4.0L to 4.0L and a trans swap, AX15 with internal slave to NV3550 with external slave. For the NV3550 setup I used a Mopar, pre bled, clutch slave and master cylinder with hose. It's literally plug and play.

After I got it installed (and I've been dealing with this since day one) the clutch pedal is about half way to the floor (compared to the brake pedal). Due to this, I lose full range of throw with the clutch pedal, and it rarely disengages the clutch completely. Aside from bending the pedal, is there anything I can do that will give me for pedal throw? Any help with this would be MUCH appreciated as it feels like I am driving a semi at the moment.

Since you can't edit your first post in a thread for some weird reason... " is there anything I can do that will give me for pedal throw?" should be " is there anything I can do that will give me more pedal throw?"

What caused you to loose pedal throw? Is there something different about the new master cylinder versus the one you removed? Shorter push rod? Need more info regarding mechanics of old and new. You "modified" your clutch system. Are you sure you set up the new clutch/bell housing correctly? Correct distance between fingers on clutch plate and throw-out bearing?

xjbubba said:
What caused you to loose pedal throw? Is there something different about the new master cylinder versus the one you removed? Shorter push rod? Need more info regarding mechanics of old and new. You "modified" your clutch system. Are you sure you set up the new clutch/bell housing correctly? Correct distance between fingers on clutch plate and throw-out bearing?

The clutch slave/master cylinder is the TJ sealed unit. I'm betting the push rod is shorter on this than on the OE one I had. Is it possible to weld on a spacer to the end of that? Or something similar? Or would bending the pedal be a possible fix...

I wouldn't bend the clutch pedal arm--I'd get the old unit and determine what's different before coming up with a solution. I believe later XJ's also had integrated master/slave units. Maybe they're different than the TJ stuff. As far as welding an extension on the new master cylinder push rod--I wouldn't, unless 1: you've determined that's the only difference between the TJ and XJ units, 2: it's not practical to replace the push rod, and 3: I wouldn't weld it with it still in the cylinder; you may fry the innerds!

Back