• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

would you pay.............

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
$2,400 for this???

here is the list of parts i used:

Factory new D44 housing
Factory new D44 diff cover
Factory new rear disc brakes from 05 rubicon
Factory new rear brake lines from 05 rubicon
Factory new 4wheel disc proportioning valve from 05 rubicon
Factory new e-brake cable from 05 rubicon

New Alloy USA axle shafts
New Yukon 4.56Gears w/master install kit (installed by me)
New Detroit TrueTrack
7/8 Truck lug nuts (the lug nut studs were to long with the disc brakes so i got new lug nuts for all 4 wheels)

that setup was about $2,500

just wondering what some of you guys think???

change the gears to 4.88 or 5.13 and put in a full on detroit I would think about it.

I'd have to say no. If you're talking about the current D44 being used in Jeeps.

I'd rather find a used D44 out of something, and have it cleaned and built. More strength.

*Factory new MJ Dana 44 complete w/brakes & track-loc carrier $350 shipped
*Spicer 4.56:1 gears $150
*mini install kit $50
*full spool $225
*SOA Spring Pads from MORE $50
*univ shock mounts from RE $25
*welding labor $50
*Mobil 1 gear oil $25

No disc brakes or snazzy alloy shafts though... :(

But a chitload cheaper :D

95 Isuzu D44 - $50
4.30 spicer gears and carrier - $75
Aussie Locker - $230
Weld on perches - $50
Wheel spacers - $75
Gear setup - $200

= @ $700 for a disc/locked D44

XJ housing- 350
spare factory shafts(which are damn strong to me)-50
4.88 Precision-180
Detroit-450
drum rebuild-50

yould build a dana 60 for cheaper than 2.5K

Trailbst said:
I'd have to say no. If you're talking about the current D44 being used in Jeeps.

I'd rather find a used D44 out of something, and have it cleaned and built. More strength.

by current what years/models D44 are you talking about???

i used a 97 D44 housing. i build this because i needed a quick replacement while doing a buildup on my wifes 97TJ.

i would like to build myself a D44 for my 95XJ, and was thinking about doing a similar build using a XJ/MJ D44 housing, but around here used D44's go for around $400. at least that's what i've found, and for that price i can get a brand new one from the dealership (my cost).

and i don't like drums, which is why i would like to go with disc's, and i can get the rubicon discs from the factory for a little over $400. it's a little more than a salvage yard disc conversion, but not to bad.

I wouldn't pay $2,400 for a Dana 44. You really could do a low pinion 60 for the same or slightly more, and have 35 spline shafts.

Depends on your tire size, I guess, but seeing as how you are springing for alloy shafs i assume we're talking about running 35's or so?

33's, it's my wifes jeep and she didn't wanna put 35's on just yet. it is build/lifted to handle 35's though.

i could have sworn D60's would run more than that. mmmhhh..........maybe i'll have to start looking into that more.

CRASH said:
I wouldn't pay $2,400 for a Dana 44. You really could do a low pinion 60 for the same or slightly more, and have 35 spline shafts.

Depends on your tire size, I guess, but seeing as how you are springing for alloy shafs i assume we're talking about running 35's or so?

Ditto, this was done for around $400, ready to bolt into an XJ. 4.10s and lincoln locked, stock shafts. You could go to Alloys, a full locker of choice, and different gearing for less then the 2 grand you'd have left over.

335125531jiHBrD_ph.jpg

Ditto, this was done for around $400, ready to bolt into an XJ. 4.10s

ok i have to ask....................how???

i know that with time i can usually built most things dirt cheap. i just build that one like i said because i needed it right away and didn't have time to search around. but $400 w/disc???

scorpio_vette said:
ok i have to ask....................how???

i know that with time i can usually built most things dirt cheap. i just build that one like i said because i needed it right away and didn't have time to search around. but $400 w/disc???

$100 for the axle (IIRC). Out of a dodge pickup, so 65" WMS, matching XJ leaf perches. Already had the 4.10s in it. JKS shock mounts $52, welded on and Licoln locked for a 6 pack of Fat Tire. Caliper Bracket from Great Lakes Offroad, $55 IIRC. New Calipers, Rotors, and Wheel Studs from VatoZone. Flat Black Rustoleum I had laying around.

scorpio_vette said:
what year(s)/model(s) dodge pickup???

that would definitely be worth looking into. i could use the leftover money for skids or other important add-ons that i still need.

I want to say '75, but don't quote me on that.

Edit: '71, found my original post on Pirate. Oh the good ole days..........:D

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270219

Last edited:
scorpio_vette said:
$2,400 for this???

Factory new D44 housing

New Detroit TrueTrack
7/8 Truck lug nuts (the lug nut studs were to long with the disc brakes so i got new lug nuts for all 4 wheels)

I didn't even pay that much to build my hp44 front with 5.13's aussie locked and a 9" rear spooled (both were completely rebuilt), but I didn't use alloys up front.

scorpio_vette said:
$2,400 for this???

Factory new D44 housing

New Detroit TrueTrack

I'm kinda wondering why you care what we think.
You obviously shelled out the money, so you think it was worth it. That's all that matters. Right?

Used on what BTW? I see you posted pictures of your "wifes" recently improved Wrangler (looks nice) on the WOHVA forum. Were these parts used for that project, or used in an XJ?

Used on what BTW? I see you posted pictures of your "wifes" recently improved Wrangler (looks nice) on the WOHVA forum. Were these parts used for that project, or used in an XJ?

i build this axle for my wife TJ. it was in an accident in december when somebody lost control and took out her front end. i rebuild/replaced/lifted/moded everything from the tranny on down. basically everything below the frame is new.

in the process of regearing i noticed that her D35 was in pretty bad shape, so i used that as an excuse to build her a nice D44. but since it was her daily driver i had to fix it as fast as possible, so i just bought everything i needed without in 1 day.

i would like to build another one for the rear/front of my XJ in the future, and was wondering if that was horrible or acceptable (price wise). i knew that i could build one for cheaper than that, but didn't think i could build it for under $1000 considering that D44's used go for $400 here, and by the time you add locker/gears/discs, you already added over $600. but now i'm getting really curious and bummed out since some guys seem to be doing it for $400+/-.

Don't be bummed. Some of what you see is "right time/right place" buying. Some of it is "My buddy has..." kind of buying.

Some examples:
Some folks got a sweet deal on new Furd 8.8s a couple of years ago also. Disc to disc axle assembles were like $250 straight from Furds supplier as Furd changed the rear of the Exploder to IFS and had lots-O-those laying about and was doing a clearance. Same thing with stock tank skids for XJs, 4 years ago, MOPAR cleared them all out at $18 each. I just put a Detroit EZ locker in the YJ. Cost? The cost of taking it out of my Buddys 88' XJ and putting the spiders back in. See, right time/right place/buddy purchasing.

You can buy well, if you have the time to do it. If you can't, you get what the market charges you. :wow:

Would you pay
1987 Jeep Wagoneer with D44 rear $100.00 and drive it home
4.88 gears 75.00 used
master install kit 82.00
used Detroit TruTrac 200.00
1/2" thick cast steel diff cover off Ebay 39.00
stole calipers off the s10 in the field, made caliper mounts and welded them on and whola a complete axle for under 500.00Hasta

Back