• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY XJ BLOWS........

NHextremeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
all over the road when it's windy. Just wondering if this is everyone's experience with a lifted XJ or can it be minimized. I've got a 2001 with 5.5 RE X-Duty lift. Would a steering box brace or frame stiffeners help it? Yes it is aligned and I know I drive a box with wheels, but it seems like 60% of my driving is spent correcting from the wind. Could caster have anything to do with the problem? Maybe I need a new daily driver......one with two wheels and HD on the side of the tank:shhh:

Welcome to the land of higher altitude! Its been windy around here lately and we feel it first. No brace or stiffener will undo a higher center of gravity. On the nice days try opening all the windows. That usually helps a bit, and stay under the speed limit. The caster might because it may make it too easy for the steers to wonder.

Mine is definitely better than when I first lifted it. I think the biggest improvement was with a heavy-duty tie rod, but the brace definitely helped.

That said, crosswinds are still going to affect you to some degree no matter what you do.

on my first trip to colorado in the xj we had a horrible crosswind, I had to hold the steering wheel a quarter turn to the left. It was really bad when passing houses that had bushes every once in a while, you had to steer back straight so as not to careen into the other lane.

It's not a center of gravity thing, it's a giant brick thing, we're just not aerodynamic, and 10 times less aerodynamic from the side.

NHextremeXJ said:
I drive a box with wheels

That pretty much sums it up! And to add to it, you have lifted that box further into the wind.

images

Try swaybars?:D
Doesn't someone make a rear swaybar dissconnect?
Most lifts require the removal of the the rear swaybar. But it seems to me I read about a dissconnect for the rear.
Maybe that will help.
We can get some nasty winds out here in the desert. What suprised me was when I went to MTR's, there was a noticable improvement in the wind, the rig wouldn't get blown around as much....don't know why...maybe stonger sidewalls?

it's a XJ thing Nate, i had the same problem when mine was stock, and when i had me 2" B ans havie and not havin a frt sway bar made no diffrence

Back