• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 Fabrication

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
My current concern is with welding the axle tubes to the differential housing. This is common practice but welding can also distort the axle tube causing misalignment at the outer end of the axle.

Can anyone offer an explanation why I never see this mentioned? A lack of discussion or context can indicate "not an issue." What is going on in the example of the Ford 8.8?

Thanks,

Rick

Personally, I have never seen or herd of an axle tube distort or warp due to welding it on the housing. Now, if the tubes are already off, and your welding them back in, a jig may help with alignment and trueness. Another alternative to welding to the housing(which you have to do if the tubes are already out) is to truss it, or buy the TnT 8.8 truss, if the tubes have not rotated.

http://tntcustoms.com/webV3/88truss.asp

Just weld it in 1.5" stitches, 180 degrees apart.
Then fill in the gaps the same way.
Distortion should be minimal.

Two ways to weld something that may heat distort:

A) slow and intermittent as Kid mentions, allowing time to cool.

or B) as the factory does it; really F-fing hot, really F-ing fast. This minimizes heat input.

Ideally, you weld your bearing cups on last when building an axle, after spring perches, trusses and shock mounts are installed. Practically, I've never had a problem by going in increments, on opposite sides of the tube and letting things cooll evenly.

All,

Thanks for your responses. I surmized that welding would "pull" the tube in undesirable directions and that tack-welding small sections 180 degrees apart was the desirable technique.

Ultimately, I'll probably have to get the axle to inspect it so that I know what I need to prepare for. I'll also try to find someone experienced at fabricating these to get additional suggestions or contract them to do the fabrication work as I do not yet own a TIG.

Does anyone know qualified people in the midwest?

Thanks,

Rick

Sorry to say but I think you are putting to much time into thinking about doing it than doing it. But that is my opinion. I put an 8.8 under my heep and did the welding myself for my first time with the help of a friend watching what I was doing. I used a new Hobart 125 flux core wire feed welder. Follow what Crash and Kid said and you will do just fine. No need to hire somebody else to something like this. My axle turned out just fine. HTH.

Kim.

Distortion is over done as a problem. Distortion happens. Distortion can be minimalized by fast welding, tig welding, and stitch welding. Simply put, you have a need and it isn't getting done unless you accept the fact that distortion happens. Otherwise you would never see things such as spring perches, shock mounts, trusses. All that welding, and all on just one side of the tube!

Get over it and do your best to minimalize it and get on with your life, you will distort it more the first time you get a little air.....

Dan Fredrickson

Last edited by a moderator:
Back