• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Help

Jonnyjpr

NAXJA Forum User
Need help with my manual transmission. Dont know what exactly is wrong with it. But It won't go into gear. Had to shift it with no clutch on the way back home yesterday. It was slowly goin all day yesterday. Now it can only go in gear when i have it off, then turn it on while in gear. Some input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Let me guess. It won't go into gear while you're stopped, so you need to put it in first before you stop, or turn off the engine, shift to first, and then start it again. I had the same problem until recently, and a new clutch (including slave cylinder) cured it.

I got more work done than just the clutch, so I don't know the specifics, but the shop gave me an estimate of $600 to $700 for parts (including a new slave cylinder) and labor for a new clutch. That didn't include resurfacing or replacing the flywheel. Expect resurfacing to be about $50, and a replacement (the better option) to be about $150 (I think).

Yea, thinkin about doin it myself. Tryin to keep the cost down. And plus, gotta learn how to do it.

Mambeu said:
I got more work done than just the clutch, so I don't know the specifics, but the shop gave me an estimate of $600 to $700 for parts (including a new slave cylinder) and labor for a new clutch. That didn't include resurfacing or replacing the flywheel. Expect resurfacing to be about $50, and a replacement (the better option) to be about $150 (I think).
Wow over 100% markup on parts, and labor on top of that.

Gonna check out the parts stores tommorrow. Find which one is the cheapest. Cause its so much fun tryin to fix stuff with no money.

Mambeu said:
I think you may be misunderstanding me. The shop where I had it done gave me an estimate that the total cost of parts and labor together would be between 600 and 700 dollars.
Yes I did 600-700 installed is not a bad price.

Back