• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

door removal

rckclmbr

NAXJA Forum User
ok before some one starts yellin at me for not doing a search...... i already did. I have to have the doors off in the next few hours. I can't get my torx in there cause there is not enough room, and when i use vice grips on it the just slip off. some one please help!!!

there are two things you can do.if you have a torx socket with a removeable bit take the bit out and use it in a box wrench.second use the vise grips on the torx socket itself if its not removeable.

I did that last year, same problem. I got one off using the methods stated above, ended up using an air chisel from a garage up the street to knock the last 2 bolt heads off for the other door to come off

I changed the drivers side door on my 89 last week. I used a 1/4 inch wrench with a torx bit. It was no problem the screws came right out.

I also changed the hinge pin. I cut the pin with a hacksaw blade and a dremel tool. Had to use two blades. It was then much easier to press out the remains. I then drilled out the hinge parts with a 7mm drillbit. Found a hex head bolt that was a little over 7mm. Put it in a drillpress and used a flat file until it was 7mm. cut off the threaded part of the bolt an pressed it right in from the top. I also drilled a 3mm hole right in the hinge part on the car, for oiling. Now the door has no slack, like new.

regards
Torfinn

After reading your post I went out and removed my drivers door using a Gear wrench with the bit adpt. in it. Was simple as pie. I will have to look into using the bolt trick for my drooping bottom hinge.

Back