• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

class III hitch, aren't they all the same?

shimmy

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm picking up a class III hitch, but its off a 89 XJ and i have a 98. it will still fit right, isn't the only difference that the nutstrip inserts. my 98 comes with a nutstrip i believe from the factory on the passenger side, and pre 97's didn't right?

Not sure about the nutstrips, but yes, a hitch from one XJ should be no problem going onto another one of a different year. The hitch might get homesick, but he'll be ok. :confused1

sweet! you would think after over 1,000 posts i'd be able to use the search function eh? wow, i just had one of those "moments."

I sell hitches. All Cherokees are the same part number from every company as long as they are the same class(I,II,II,etc.) Better fit or we are screwed! The one peice hitches are ok, but the 3 peice ones are easier to install (dont have to line everything up at once) and none of them fit over my skid. Had the do some creative cutting on my plate and the hitch to get it to fit. BTW, I do NOT recommend modifying a hitch in ANY way whatsoever. That being said, I had no choice. A 3 peice I could have boled the flanges to the frame, placed the cross peice, and then crank it all down. just my .02

Back