• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Rope

jonboy

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at the regular Master-Pull rope and the Viking Trail Line.

Price being the same, are there any good reasons to choose one over the other?

we've been using MP rope for a few years now and have been happy with. No experience with the Viking ropes, but I've heard good stuff about them. Honestly, I think it'd come down to what color you want the rope in -- Viking offers a lot of color options, MP is only grey last I checked.

I haven't heard of the Viking brand so I can't offer any opinions on it.

A buddy of mine had a Master Pull on his Warn X9000 and it gave out after 3 years. It did see a good amount of use so I think a big part of it failing as soon as it did was because it was exposed to the sunlight on a daily basis and that sped up the break down of the line. For a replacement line he got one (for free) made of Amsteel Blue from a third friend.

I made my own a three years ago from Amsteel Blue (at the time it only cost me 60% of what the vendor made lines typically cost). I am fortunate that I haven't had to use mine that much (maybe a dozen or so times) so it is still in good shape.

To ensure our investment lasts as long as it can, we both have winch covers that stop the rain and sunlight from decaying the line.

Only had experience with amstel line... it's nice, but like has been said, keep it covered to get longevity

Holy Cow! Damn MP stuff is expensive. I bought 200' of 3/8ths Amsteel Blue for $208 from a marine store. Bought four thimbles from McMaster and a similar sling hook from a tow truck company. All told I paid $265 three years ago. I have a hundred feet on the drum now. The other 100' I bought as a replacement line when I feel that the first is showing too much wear and tear. I also carry the extra 100' with the rest of my gear to be used on long or complex pulls, which it came in handy on a rolled XJ a couple years ago.

It's crazy what they charge for the stuff today.

I use the Viking Trail Line with the Winch Safety Thimble - 3/8" X 100' sells for $249.00

1148252581_winchline_safety_thimble_200.jpg

1148252610_wl_wst_sh_500.jpg

Been using Amsteel for 3 years now.
Used and abused it alot out west.
No problems.

Holy Cow! Damn MP stuff is expensive. I bought 200' of 3/8ths Amsteel Blue for $208 from a marine store. Bought four thimbles from McMaster and a similar sling hook from a tow truck company. All told I paid $265 three years ago. I have a hundred feet on the drum now. The other 100' I bought as a replacement line when I feel that the first is showing too much wear and tear. I also carry the extra 100' with the rest of my gear to be used on long or complex pulls, which it came in handy on a rolled XJ a couple years ago.

It's crazy what they charge for the stuff today.

I dont know which lines you were looking at, but Master Pull has the cheapest lines on ebay http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=winch+line&category0=

It really depends on what type of line you want. Master Pull has three grades of winch line, their lowest grade being the same stuff as their competitors sell. The superlines though are only available from masterpull and the rope used for these is stronger than any other lines offered.

Its also important to keep safety in mind and I know I feel better using a rope that has the greatest possible breaking strength.

I am not knocking MP lines. If I could find a fair price when I was looking for one I certainly would have bought it.

I was referring to their top of the line which is $450.00 for 3/8ths 100'. I could have made almost four winch lines for that much. Now granted the MP line is rated at 26,500 and my Amsteel is only 22,500 but for my usage it won't ever be an issue. I do wonder if the casing on the MP causes problems on a snatch block...

It's bad enough a good winch costs above 700 dollars then to add another $450 on top of it...

vbjornsson said:
The superlines though are only available from masterpull and the rope used for these is stronger than any other lines offered.

Its also important to keep safety in mind and I know I feel better using a rope that has the greatest possible breaking strength.

Wrong. Very wrong.

Not one single off road manufacturer or distributor actually makes the line they sell.

Off Road people know squat about line, or wire rope for that matter. It's all being borrowed from the marine industry.

If you feel that breaking strength is the measure of safety, you couldn't be more unsafe.

Creep is not your friend, and you wouldn't possibly be able to afford the ideal synthetic winch line. Bill Koch has it all locked up. :D

--ron

Back