• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joints

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Just replaced both upper and both lower ball joints on my stock dana 30 for the first time. Not too difficult but I was just wondering if it is normal for the uppers to pull apart when pulling off the steering knuckles? Both sides pulled the stud/shaft out of the ball joint. A quick rap with a suitably sized hammer and a long brass punch got the stud/shaft out of the steering knuckle so it wasn't a big deal as far as repair time. I was just wondering if that was just another indication of how badly they were worn or its just the norm. If it helps, I used pickle-forks to separate the ball joints. Thanks for any input.

Rob D

My ball joint shaft was stuck to the knuckle as well but I wouldn't call my situation normal. I don't think it matters at this point since you have new ball joints in there.
1.jpg

DSC03498.jpg

DSC03495.jpg

When I did mine I left the ball joint nut a few threads on and wacked the top of the knuckle with a 3lb. sledge and it popped right off. Using a pickle fork separates the parts slowly bit by bit rather than shocking it apart.

Slo-Sho said:
When I did mine I left the ball joint nut a few threads on and wacked the top of the knuckle with a 3lb. sledge and it popped right off.

I will be doing mine soon and that's kinda what I was thinking. Doesn't matter if they get smashed up since there comming off anyway.

Back