• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blinkers won't work...

Superlunchbox

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, this is my first post, and I'm having problems getting the blinkers to work on my 89' Laredo XJ. The hazards work, and they light up, just nothing when I hit the blinkers. Also, they don't work on the gauge display either when i'm using blinkers, but they do work for the hazards. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've already replaced all the fuses under the dash, but nothing under the hood so far. Thanks in advance. Woot, first post (of many I suppose)

Hola, superlunchbox, congrats on the first post! Sorry i can't help ya but i figured i would be the first to chime in and ask if you tried the search? Lots of good info here, lots has already been given a good goin' over, just try and search in the different forums.

Yah - but I'll give you this one for free, since yer new, and I haven't seen it recently...

Look down at your fuze panel, you should see two silverish cans about 1" across each. One is the flasher for the hazzard lights, and the other for the turn blinkers. I believe they're labelled on the fuze panel itself, but the upper one should be for the turn blinkers and the lower one for the hazzards. To check, turn on the hazzards, you should hear a soft "click" coming from the flasher each time the lights turn on. While you're about it, it might be a good idea to take a quick walk around to check your lights - since the hazzards flash all of them, it's an easy job.

Test By Substitution - take out the turn signal flasher, and put the one for the hazzards in its place. The turn blinkers should work now. If they do, you'll want to replace the flasher - it's part number 552 for the standard units, and 536 for heavy-duty units (like for towing.) You can also get "electronic" units that will last longer, and won't change flash rate if you add or change lights (like going to LED's, or hooking up a trailer.) I use these myself - they're about $12 (vice $3 for the "thermals,") but I like knowing they'll last longer anyhow.

5-90

The turn signals and hazards work on two different blinker units, one can be bad and the other good.
Another possible cause is the turn signal arm itself, if it feels loose and sloppy, a screw inside the column could be loose. It's a single philips screw (I have no idea what the little arm it holds is called), that sometimes comes loose and is a pain to reach. The steering wheel has to be removed the horn slip rings and if I rmember correctly. the locking plate/spring assembly, have to be removed also.
And the worse case is, if a part (usually plastic) got old and self destructed in the blinker assembly in the column. The blinker assembly can be a pain to change out, the pieces get old and brittle.

My 87 had very funny turn signals also.
If you pull the headlight switch do the parking lamps light the dash indicators?
Anyway, my turn signal weirdness was caused by bad grounds in both front signal sockets.
Take the front turn signals out, then take the foam gasket off of the socket and look down at the contacts in the side. Mine were very corroded, I shoved a piece of copper wire down there to test them. Replacement of the sockets is the permanent fix obviously.

For cleaning bayonet-base sockets (the ones that press straight in,) get a handful of FINE emery board at the drugstore.

Break them in half or thirds along their length, and use them to clean the terminals - just push them in and out the same way you'd do a bulb.

The "press and twist" sockets respond well to a toothbrush and vinegar, and rinse with clean water.

If you insist upon putting some sort of goop in there (I don't, generally, because I need to clean it out later...) Gardner-Bender Ox-Gard should work well. However, just keeping the socket clean and checking it about once a year should do.

5-90

agreed, but the way the sockets are designed it's nearly impossible to get anything other than a dental pick down the side that has the ground on it.
I don't know if you've taked one apart yet, but it's a silly socket design.
The blub presses a piece of brass strip down like a hinge, that presses it against a pin that is the actual ground. Of course none of this is sealed and it's right on the front of the Jeep, so it's vulnerable to water and road salt and whatever ese the car in front of you kicks up into a fine mist.
I shoved a piece of copper wire in there just to complete the ground as part of my troubleshooting. You can pick up new sockets at the parts store for about $4 a piece. $8 later and I've not had any more problems with my turn signals/parking lamps up front.

Thanks so much for your help. I wasn't sure if there was a search on these forums, so I didn't look, that and I was in a bit of a rush. I'll make certain to use it. Thanks again.

Hey - Kaleco Auto has some funny stuff listed. If you know anything useful at all about mechanics, check them out - you'll get a chuckle or two.

Seriously tho, you do want to familiarise yourself with the "search" function. It might not have helped this time (although I think it would have,) most of us tire rapidly of repeating ourselves, and quite a few subjects have been done to death.

And, if you think we're nasty, trying searching on Pirate, find out something that's been covered fairly well, and ask about that.

Put on your armour before you do - you'll need it.

We don't mind at all helping people - that's what we're about! But, as is often said, "The Lord helps those who help themselves." If you search and you don't get an answer, we'll come up with one for you. If you search and it isn't covered, we'll cover it.

If you don't search, and it HAS BEEN covered, be prepared to have your arse handed to you anymore, because we're getting tired of the same questions asked over an over. Answering something four times a week starts to get old - and it clutters up the boards for searchers (which you've probably found out already.)

Like I'd said, I'll give you the first one free, because I hadn't seen it covered. However, I've also got no trouble letting you know I've seen something recently - the best so far is answering a question for someone, and having the same question posted by someone else SIX BLOODY HOURS later! I still managed to restrain myself and be civil, but raising two boys through their teenage years was enough, and I tire of repeating myself rather rapidly.

Still, Welcome aboard! and I honestly hope we can actually help you more in future.

And, do check out Kaleco - I've always gotten a chuckle out of them right when I needed it...

5-90

Back