• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N Filter Oil

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 xj 4.0 170,000 miles. I have a stumbling after startup problem that only occurs at idle mostly after it's been off for 20+ mins. The whole vehicle shakes, rpms jump around +- 250. I can't get any response other than a clacking in the throttle body when I try to give it gas when this happens. Then it will eventually just stop, like it never happened. Ive been fighting this all winter. Ive got a relatively new 02 sensor, coolant temp sensor, plugs, wires, cap, TPS. There are no check engine codes when this happens. My 2 questions
1. Checking fuel pressure- What kind of guage do you use and where did you get it? I tried local parts store they have a kit that might work for $40 and not in stock till next week.
2. The part that makes this modified tech. I have a rusty's airtube kit and TB spacer. Im wondering if the K&N filter oil could have gotten into the MAP sensor, as it almost seems to act similar if I unplug the sensor, and sometimes seems to idle better after cleaning it for a day or 2. Has anyone had this happen to them? Is there any way to clean the MAP other than blowing air thru it, which Ive tried? No residue brake cleaner maybe?

Any other suggestions would be most welcome, as well. Im running outa options and don't want to lose it to a stealership for repair. Thanks.

No thoughts? I know the oil can cause false readings on a WRX's MAF sensor causing slugishness...

Back