• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheelbase : 2dr vs 4dr

KarlVP

NAXJA Forum User
Aren't they the same? I'm sitting here arguing with this dood and he thinks they are different. I thought they were the same.

Reason being is he has a driveshaft from a 2 dr he wants to use on his 4dr. I told him it should work.

Am I wrong?

Wheelbase is the same, 101.4", for both 2-door and 4-door XJs. Assuming that your friend's XJ and the donor XJ have the same transmission and (rear if it's a rear driveshaft) axle, the driveshaft will work.

I think the lengths are the same, but you may run into u-joint size differences on the rear axle, if the 2 door had a Chrysler rear end. My 2 door xj with a 231 case has a u-joint length of 28 inches from center of cap to center of cap.

There were some years that had a shorter drive shaft in the front than others. My 95 only has a few years of drive shafts that will fit. It needs to be 1/2 inch shorter that the other years. I think that a 94-96 will work on it. I have tried to put other drive shafts from different years in it but they will not fit. It took me 6 months of scouring the salvage yards for just the right length shaft. It also made a difference if it was a stick or an auto tranny. The stick was a little shorter if I remember right. Just have him call his local yard and ask if the two are interchangable. Also he could use a national locator like carparts.com to check what is interchangable. I finally got one out of a 96 four door with an auto and it fit, after buying 3 driveshafts that didn't. The 95 is a two door stick with 4 inches of lift.

jeepbub said:
There were some years that had a shorter drive shaft in the front than others. My 95 only has a few years of drive shafts that will fit. It needs to be 1/2 inch shorter that the other years. I think that a 94-96 will work on it. I have tried to put other drive shafts from different years in it but they will not fit. It took me 6 months of scouring the salvage yards for just the right length shaft. It also made a difference if it was a stick or an auto tranny. The stick was a little shorter if I remember right. Just have him call his local yard and ask if the two are interchangable. Also he could use a national locator like carparts.com to check what is interchangable. I finally got one out of a 96 four door with an auto and it fit, after buying 3 driveshafts that didn't. The 95 is a two door stick with 4 inches of lift.

When I put the shaft from an 89 AW4/D35 onto my 95 stick/Chrylser, the 89 was shorter by a little, though it worked in a pinch until I could get my u-joints fixed. U joint sizes were the same.

I suspect the only way to be sure would be to measure them.

Back