• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Cover Recommendation

sflier

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '94 SE 2-door that I'd like to re-upholster. I came across this company http://www.trimcar.com/index.html that sells custom seat covers that don't appear to look like seat covers when installed. Anyone have experience with that company?

I've searched the threads and found another company mentioned but they no longer carry XJ patterns.

I'm looking to exactly replace the original covers with a stock look (originals are low-back buckets with a separate headrest) and would like to explore manufactured products before giving money to a local upholstery shop.

WOW, thats some bucks. I'd look over a few bone yards first and find a set of ZJ or WJ seats. Do a search on here for seats and you will get quite a few hits, ideas, pictures and recommendations.
We did the seats in our TJ's with wet-ocoles, they fit like a glove and were a bit tough to get on but they work well and even after 2 years have not come loose or bunched up...

not to hijack this thread or anything, but Im interested in getting seat covers for my 93 XJ too. wet okoles look the nicest but they are pretty expensive. does anyone have pictures of the wet okoles installed on a pre 96 XJ, or pics of any other brand of seat cover. I wanna see what they look like installed before pickin one to buy.

Yeah, f those prices. I talked to an upholstry shop in the St. Louis area a few years ago, and they said they would completely re-do the front seats for my '89 Ltd. with real leather and new foam, if necessary, for about $900. I just never got around to doing it, and now I am not willing to spend that kind of ching on my seats.

RichP said:
WOW, thats some bucks. I'd look over a few bone yards first and find a set of ZJ or WJ seats.

WOW is right! $600 for ONE ROW of seating. That's $1200 for an XJ... without door panels or other trim... and that's NOT installed!

What *is* it about leather, anyway?

When I bought my PT Cruiser, nobody had exactly what I wanted in stock... so I ended up getting the up-model with leather. For all practical purposes, the leather was the SOLE REASON I traded in the car!! Hot and steamy in summer, cold and hard in winter. After a couple of years, it was starting to wrinkle, stretch and stain......

Den

Guys, I'm doing an "exact stock" restoration (i.e. price is not my #1 concern). Since the stock seat covers are out of production and I've had no luck finding decent replacements of the same color/pattern at bone-yards (tan vinyl in SE pattern for the low-back seats), I'm looking for the next best alternative. If no one has used that company or another pre-manufactured replacement, then I'll go to my local auto upholsterer who can get exact replacement material ... but that costs even more. If anyone knows of another source, please let me know.

I know it’s a usual request and not what most of you would do, but it’s what I’m doing with this project. I always restore my vehicles to 100% stock … it’s the hobby that I enjoy and I’ve always been a fan of XJs.

I had my drivers side seat repaired by a small shop in allentown, it had a couple of broken welds. They took it out, stripped it, repaired the welds and added gussets for my 6'4" 250lb butt, put in all new foam that was much more comfy than the stock stuff [my 98XJ was 3 years old then], put it back in and charged me $50 cash. They also did it between 8am and 1pm. I think you need to shop around a bit for interior upholstery places and not go to the ones doing MB's and Lambos..
This place was a hot rodders and antique shop in a real old industrial area. I'd look for a low rent area where the owner is not paying $400 a squarefoot rent.
If Eagle pipes up he might know of a couple or so good places in Ct...

Just my thoughts on it.

Ebay has a couple of halfway decent looking neoprene ones that are similar to the Wet Okoles.Alot cheaper too.

Back