• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

now small welder

Gerr

NAXJA Forum User
Ok just went and bought a 70amp flux core welder from home depot (had gift card had to use) anyways it says its good for up to 1/8th inch material and Im wondering if anyone has some tips on using it. I havent welded since high school shop and that was all gas

dzraces said:
Ok just went and bought a 70amp flux core welder from home depot (had gift card had to use) anyways it says its good for up to 1/8th inch material and Im wondering if anyone has some tips on using it. I havent welded since high school shop and that was all gas

My advice, take it back and get something over 120amps. 70 is just not enough for even 1/8" plate.

dzraces said:

Go slow, and don't expect it to do things its not made for.

I have one the same size. I have welded 1/8th plate to 1/8th plate. You just have to turn the wire speed all the way up, and go slow.

It will make nice welds, but you need to make sure the pieces being welded are clean. It just doesn't have enough juice to burn the impurities off in front of your welds.

w_howey said:
Go slow, and don't expect it to do things its not made for.

I have one the same size. I have welded 1/8th plate to 1/8th plate. You just have to turn the wire speed all the way up, and go slow.

It will make nice welds, but you need to make sure the pieces being welded are clean. It just doesn't have enough juice to burn the impurities off in front of your welds.

Nice, I like it when some one takes the time to be positive and give actual advice.
Thank you

dzraces said:
Nice, I like it when some one takes the time to be positive and give actual advice.
Thank you
Well, he DID give actual advise. He said dump it and get a decent welder. Dont take it as a personal assault, I agree with him. No one hates you, just that 70 amps isnt enough.

MyJeepXJ said:
Well, he DID give actual advise. He said dump it and get a decent welder. Dont take it as a personal assault, I agree with him. No one hates you, just that 70 amps isnt enough.

It's unfortunate that dzraces wasn't able to see the help I was trying to provide. A 70amp welder isn't much to work with. Sure he could weld on some 1/16" plate and play around and possibly learn with it, but when it comes to making something decent for his XJ, that welder will end up pissing him off in the long run.

Been there, done that.

I happened to start off with a 100amp machine (Lincoln Weld-pak 100)

After the 3rd time using it I realized that I needed a bigger machine.

I was only trying to save you from the headache tomorrow.

waxer said:
My advice, take it back and get something over 120amps. 70 is just not enough for even 1/8" plate.
Best advice so far.........

Kyung

I won't argue the finer points of small welders and their usage in learning how to weld.

But, I learned to weld in what we called 'Fix Baker's shit class', or High School welding class. Our instructor Mr. Baker used to bring in his farm equipment for us to 'learn' on. Lots and lots of buzzbox time.

I was in much the same boat as dzraces , 'gift cards/wanna buy something cool for myself'. And I had always wanted to learn wire/MIG welding.

For the user that said 'it can't even weld jewelery'. A pic is worth 10000 posts.

69128857.jpg

All the welding is done with my little 80 amp HF special.

Look it can even make its own carrier.

145028212.jpg

Thats just two of the things I have used it for.

Like I posted before, don't expect it to be something its not. You'll be served very well that way.

No, it won't be able to weld up bumpers, or cages, or axles, or alot of heavy stuff. But having a nice low range has its advantages when you are trying to weld thin materials.

The wire used can make a LARGE difference in the welds also. Don't go exotic on wire, unless you need it. I use E71T-GS regularly in mine and it works fine in most situations I find.

lgorman00 said:
70 is plenty for 1/8 .......135 for 1/4 that is what i learned in welding class

From Millers education site.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/articles/story18.html

"Next, consider that thin metals require less amperage and thicker metals require more amperage. For example, to MIG weld 18 gauge steel in a single pass takes roughly 70 amps, where welding 1/4 in. steel in a single pass requires roughly 180 amps."

Below info from http://mdmetric.com/tech/steelthk.htm

18 gauge = .050" = just under 1/16"

11 gauge = .125" = 1/8" = over double the thickness of 18 gauge!

Even better, if you have a project and you know what you'll be welding, what thickness it is, and with which process you'll be using, here is an excellent calculator that Miller provides.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/calculators/

Lets take a look and see what it calls for with 1/8" mild steel, using a flux core wire.

welding_example.jpg

So good luck welding 1/8" with that 70 amp model.

Again, hope this helps.

Last edited:
ok guys didnt wanna start a debate but I think it will do fine for the little stuff I wanna do Everything I can find says its completely capable of doing 1/8th steel and I even have members who agree with that information.

I dont wanna build a battle ship here guys I wanna mess around, learn and maybe make some little crap for the heep just to say I did.

Of coures Miller is going to tell you to get the biggest welder possible.

That convenient info sheet from Miller is saying that the Lincoln 110V/135A machine can't even weld 1/8, and I know that's bullsh!t. I wouldn't trust the manufacturer's sights for unbiased tech info.

JMHO

Well I took it to my friends house where he is a profesional welder and he welded up some 1/8th inch plate with zero problem with my little worthless machine gave me some tips and after making fun of me for a while got me to lay some decent beads. we welded 1/8 angle together, to lapping pieces of 1/8 plate, and some tubes scraps he had laying around, I think im gonna like my little welder

Thats great! (especially with a bud handy that can critique your work)

My non-fabbing bud has a line on a 230v Lincoln (Lowes 175 model with gas reg - I hope) Anyway $300 for the welder and I'm springing for a tank of gas. We're gonna be sticking metal together shortly.

Back