• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

33's and stock 3.05s, not a usual repeat gear question

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
howdy,
i was looking at getting the procomp xterrain 33's and i was wondering if, already having 32's and it not being that bad, would the 33's really make that much of a difference, could i get away with it on the road and on lite trails until i have enough cash to get 4.10s (dont want to get whole new axles other wise would go bigger

did anyone have this on a manual tranny and find it drivable for a short period of time, with lite offroading? well, i guess i could stay away from the trails until i save it all up...
thanks

rocklandxjer said:
already having 32's and it not being that bad, would the 33's really make that much of a difference

you have 3.07's first........ and its not that bad???? my AX-15,stock gears and 31's was HORRIBLE. stick with what you got until you get money to regear, or start saving for a new clutch very soon... then again its not much worse then boneheads runnin 35's with 3.55's...

hmm, man i thought i read somewhere that i had 3.05, sounded a little weird, everyone else having 3.07... i have the stock gears with my 32s and i cant really feel tooo much drag on the street, it does bog a decent amount on the trail, even on moderate trails, so the 4.10s would be much better, do i need to get all of the parts listed in the sticky, or just the gears and the master install kit? also do i need a carrier front and rear or just front

since you have to replace both carriers anyways you might as well go to 4.56's or 4.88's i have 33's with 3.55 gears in my aw-4 and that is HORRIBLE!! its puts a lot of stress on everything in your rear axle. and if you have this setup for a while it can lead to axlewrap and yoke breakage.(whats happening to me right now) and DS u joints start snappin like, like, like.... i dont know what like but they break a lot. ive gone through four and have a broken one right now that im driving on.
i calculated something a while ago about ratios and stuff and i believe that 4.10's with 33's will put you at a stock ratio. but its recommended you always go one size lower which will be 4.56's
but if your on the trails a lot. 4.88's.
unless you have a chrysler 8.25 then u can only go 4.56. dana 35 5.83(i think but not sure, just get a dana 44) or somethin. but your dana 30 can only go up to 4.88.

4.10's will be a waste of time and money.

If you have your eyes on 33's go as deep as your axle will take. If you have a Dana 30 and Dana 35 (or 44) go to 4.88:1. If you have a Dana 30 and Chrysler 8.25 go to 4.56:1 (the 8.25 tops out at 4.56).

Last edited:
also, if you have a Chrysler 8.25, you won't need a carrier for it, same carrier up to 4.56, i was assuming dana 35..

Hundreds of mall crawlers never regear. Many claim to have, few do. If you were happy with your 3.05/3.07s with 32s I see little need to go to 4.10 for 33.
(IMO) On a paved flat road, tires presser up, let the clutch out VERY slowly. DO NOT touch the gas. If she pulls away with little or no fuss? Then you engine is in good shape and your gearing is about right for the street and just a wee bit of offing. Any deeper gearing would because you want it for improved acceleration or lots of offing. Not because it's need for proper operation. Once again (IMO)
It COULD be a lot cheaper by getting some drop-in axles from the bone yards. Any Jeep with an auto tranny would have 3.55s and a 4 banger should have 3.73 or even the blessed 4.10s. Depending on the year. What ever you do LUCK.

Last edited:
You probably wont notice much of a difference from the 32's to the 33's. I ran 32's and 3.07 for about a year w/ Ax-15. It is fine on the street except 5th gear becomes unusable. On the trail you will be ridding your clutch too much. Get the 33's but keep in mind that you need to regear eventually. Heck, you should've known that with the 32's.

A friend of mine runs 3.07's and 33's. It likes to spark knock a lot and stall out everytime it needs some actual torque to go up an obstacle. Not to mention his poor poor clutch.

o no, im not happy, believe me 500 isnt pocket change in any instance, i just said it wasnt too bad, i manage but i stall and sputter way to much even on stuff that i get through with my friends wrangler with 4.88. i didnt know that the dana 30 could go 4.88, maybe ill go 4.56 so i dont need a rear carrier. i was thinking that 4.10s would be still too high but i need gears and i didnt want to have to buy a whole new front axle. and there are literally NO boneyards around here. ill deffinately go 4.56 now that i no the front can hold it. thanks guys

4.56 is your bet then; it'd be about the same cost to go 4.56 as 4.10.

And just so you know the high pinion 30 (which you have in your 94) tops out at 4.88:1; the Chrysler 8.25 tops out at 4.56:1.

The absolutely cheapest way to convert is to find an early 84-85 4cyl XJ. Around here most have 4.10 gears stock. Pull-n-Save here sells the axles complete for 125 an axle.

i wish, i would just get some d44s but there are NO junkyard, pull n save, wrecking yards, or car parts yards, anywhere in my area within 1.5 hours

especially none with an abundance of xjs, sux for me....

anyone no where to get 4.56s cheap, besides one of these yards. i was reffered to before to go to randys ring and pinion, anyother options for cheap?

Man your answer is simple, save some money and do it right. What are you even gaining by going to 33's over 32's anyway?

To me it sounds like you are very new to this sport and your XJ. Take a lot of time, use the search button and read the stickied posts at the top of the Modified section.

If you even think that 32's and 3.07 is doable, even tempoarily, you are nuts. :confused1

Back