• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bolt

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
i'm in the middle of the rear lift on my xj.i cant get the front leaf spring bolt out. it was moving with a four foot breaker, but now dont budge. igot the shocks off and the rear bolt to the springs.just dont want to snap this bolt,any ideas?

So your taking off the stock leafs and thats where your stuck? Is it stuck on the threads in the bolt, or in the bushing?

A) stuck on threads
I hate to force things, I was always told 'if it won't go on take it off, it it won't come off put it on'
Silly as it sounds maybe putting it back on and making sure its clean and the threads aren't stripped, if they are you'd either have to force it or cut it there I guess.

B) in bushing
If you can get a smaller bolt into the bushing and tap on it to push the other one out I would think that may work.

I am as newbie as you can get on here, so this is what my limited knowledge could come up with, hope it helps though.

I'm assuming that you're replacing your rear springs with new packs. If so, get a torch and cut through the spring, then the bushing and the metal sleeve. The bolts probably frozen on the sleeve. I had to do that for three of the bolts on mine.

I wouldn't worry about that, as long as its not leaking gas. Just have some water next to you because the bushing will probably flare up.

yeap, the stock springs get frozen on there, had to torch out the springs, then cut through the frame rail to get to the bolt, cut that out and install the new one, dont be afraid to torch the old springs, their comin out anyways right

When I did my lift, I had the same problem. The bolts were seized to the sleeve in the bushing. What I did was use a cutting wheel to cut the front spring eye into two pieces. Then I cut away the rubber bushing. Then I used a dremel cut off wheel to cut through the sleeve and removed it. Then the bolt just backs out with a good breaker bar or impact wrench.
On the rears, I just cut the bolts with a cut-off wheel just inside the shackles (bottom). I will eventually replace the shackles, but thatr repeats the seized bolt problem for the upper end of the shackles.
When you re-assemble, make sure you put anti-seize inside the new sleeves.

ok got the fornt bolts off ,penetrating oil while backing it in and out, and in aot and repeat .anyways got them out.now the rear bolt on the top of the shackle got the drivers side out no problem. the passenger side moves with little effort and all i used was alittle breaker bar. the problem the bolt moves fine but will not back out!!!!!!i would cut through but there is not much room.seems like if the bolt was broken it would come out so i'm thinking its stripped.anymore suggestions?

Back