• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which control arms.. TNT, RE, or ORGS/JKS

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys,

Can you give me some opinions on RE, ORGS/JKS, and TNT custom's upper adjustable control arms. I have an RE kit so I know their components are solid in quality but I noticed that the ORGS/JKS use rubber bushings and TNT and RE are using currie johnny joints. Is their that much of a difference in maintenance, ride and noise of using rubber of johhny joints? Trying to decide which ones to go with.

thanks

2001XJ said:
...RE are using currie johnny joints...

Wrong. They are made from different bushing/race material. The Currie Johnny joint uses urethane; RE uses a different material (uhmwpe?) A C clip on the Currie holds the race in; the RE uses a threaded retainer w/ a setscrew. I know nothing of the TNT joints.

Bent said:

Wrong. They are made from different bushing/race material. The Currie Johnny joint uses urethane; RE uses a different material (uhmwpe?) A C clip on the Currie holds the race in; the RE uses a threaded retainer w/ a setscrew. I know nothing of the TNT joints.

TnT uses the RE joint. The general consensu, IIRC, is that the Currie and RE joints are of comparable quality, but the RE joints are far easier to rebuild when worn, as no press is required with the threaded cap...

ECKSJAY and anyone else for that matter,

How is the ride using arms with the TNT/RE joints as opposed to the rubber "twist joints" that JKS uses? Is the ride that much more quiet/smoother? I am wondering since I have the RE rubber fixed uppers now.

6 years on my RE Super-flex arms.No noise,remember you still have rubber bushings on the frame end.I also use their joints on both my LA set-ups and thats at the frame end.

JKS if you want to stay short arm.

I run their uppers and lowers and love them. I actaully just cracked one a couple weeks ago and JKS sent me a whole new arm for nothing!! Didn't even have to pay shipping.

ClassicXJ said:
JKS if you want to stay short arm.

I run their uppers and lowers and love them. I actaully just cracked one a couple weeks ago and JKS sent me a whole new arm for nothing!! Didn't even have to pay shipping.

I'd be more worried about control arms that crack into two pieces, rather then free replacement. But that's just me.
You're not the first JKS LCA owner to have this problem, I've counted four prior to yours.
:angel:

Ronbo said:
I'd be more worried about control arms that crack into two pieces, rather then free replacement. But that's just me.
You're not the first JKS LCA owner to have this problem, I've counted four prior to yours.

Two designs. Their original one was known for cracking, much like Rusty's were. Their replacements and new ones are much thicker, thus no problems. I still would not hesitate to buy them.

Ronbo said:

And I wonder how many people have bent REs???

A lot.

I'd say 3 of 4 RE long arms I've seen have been bent. Although the bends are usually slight and don't effect the performance of the arm so the owners rarely fix them.

Back