• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to buy and XJ have questions

91G-Dub

NAXJA Forum User
I've been in the market for a while now for an XJ. Have and have narrowed my search to something from 1991 or newer with a 4.0. My total budget is 1000-1500 but like everyone else I'd like to go as low as possible.
Going to use it for DD/mild off roader.
I'm not the world's best mechanic and don't have a lot of spare time nor a place to work on a Jeep so almost anything past tune-ups and very minor stuff I will have to pay someone to do. Not concerned with how it looks, I want something that won't embarass me to drive but I expect it to have a few blemishes.
Also living in the Garden State I have to deal with passing emissions inspection.
My questions are:
1. am I being realistic?
2. what problems should I be on the look-out for?
Thanks in advance for your help.

91G-Dub said:
I've been in the market for a while now for an XJ. Have and have narrowed my search to something from 1991 or newer with a 4.0. My total budget is 1000-1500 but like everyone else I'd like to go as low as possible.
Going to use it for DD/mild off roader.
I'm not the world's best mechanic and don't have a lot of spare time nor a place to work on a Jeep so almost anything past tune-ups and very minor stuff I will have to pay someone to do. Not concerned with how it looks, I want something that won't embarass me to drive but I expect it to have a few blemishes.
Also living in the Garden State I have to deal with passing emissions inspection.
My questions are:
1. am I being realistic?
2. what problems should I be on the look-out for?
Thanks in advance for your help.

It's going to be tough in that price range, especially not having a place to do your own work. The years above 91 are fairly simple to work on, have open cooling systems. Parts are generally cheap, some basic hand tools and a factory service manual will get you thru alot of repairs. Floor jack and two jack stands will allow you to do the majority of 'on your back work' type jobs.
I'd look for a 93 or newer, check for rust under the back seat. Look for oil leaks, jeeps are high enough that you can crawl under them when they are just parked. Check out www.autotrader.com, I see alot going for cheap on there and it's where we got our two TJ's from..go thru private sellers, they are generally in the best shape.
Best bet, cultivate a couple of NJ members and narrow it down to one or two choices, then bribe one with lunch to go check it out...
I reality unless you stumble across one, you should have about $3K with another $500 in reserve to fix immeadiate maintenance like as soon as you get it home change all fluids, flush cooling system, plugs, cap, rotor, wires, maybe brakes. Figure about $100 in fluids.

At that price you can find something fairly solid, and perhaps in good mechanical shape, but most will have over 150 thousand miles, and you're almost certain to have a number of little things wrong - worn out universal joints, brake issues, etc. of the sort you normally find on a high mileage beater, and you're pretty certain to have plenty of rust, diorty upholstery, and that sort of thing. The more rust you can accept, the better the rest of the deal might be. I see pretty decent XJ's around here under $2K with nasty looking rocker panels and a few other holes in them. Below that you usually get worse rust, very high mileage or mechanical problems.

Back