• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys 8inch longarm kit

azxjman

NAXJA Forum User
I just wanted to let you all know my experience with the new lift kit from rustys. There were four things that I didnt like about the kit. One the shipping was kinda slow but not to bad. Two the ubolts for the rearend were the wrong ones. Three the way the controller arm mounts is really stupid so I just had to fab some of my own mounting brackets. And lastley the instructions suck they dont make any sense at all not that it really matters that much since I basically had to fab all the mounting brackets myself.:mad:

Mine bolted up just fine what was wrong that you had to fab new mounts???

What's the deal with the control arm mounts? I have his kit and have had no problems. The mount is the trans crossmember, and I've talked to one person who has an 87 5 speed. It seems the trans is shorter than any other year XJ, auto or stick, so he needed to have his control arms shortened. I'd be real interested in your difficulties. The shipping....how many times did UPS "lose" your stuff? Been there, heard that, many times. I 100% agree about the instructions. He faxed me a few hand drawn diagrams....more trash.

Yes it is true one the 84 - 87 the arms have to be special made...Really did not need the instructions so i never looked at them...

It wasent the actuall mount that I had the problem with I guess I really need to be more descriptive it was the supports for the new crossmember they didnt fit properly and my rock sliders interfeared so there was no possible way to use the reinforcements for the frame. Oh and I forgot one more complaint I oderderd the long arm kit and the steering box brace I am going to have to call and see where my steering box brace is. And about the shipping it wasent all rustys fault but one box was not shipped till 4 days after the rest were shipped.

azxjman said:
Oh and I forgot one more complaint I oderderd the long arm kit and the steering box brace I am going to have to call and see where my steering box brace is. And about the shipping it wasent all rustys fault but one box was not shipped till 4 days after the rest were shipped.

Ok, that makes more sense. I made my sliders after I put the kit on, so I had no interference problems. In fact, I used his frame support plates as a mounting point for the slider. As far as the shipping, yes it is his fault. His BS about UPS losing it or something is BS. When I ordered my stuff, he shipped 9 boxes. It took me 3 weeks to get them all. I didn't get some stuff until 6 months later. It turns out that he didn't have them made or they were at the powder coaters or something. That's my only beef with him. He's a nice guy and I like his stuff(except for the steerin conversion), but he's got to stop lying to people.

He's notorious for lying about shipping people's paid for parts.

vintagespeed said:
He's notorious for lying about shipping people's paid for parts.
:soapbox:
We've already roasted Rusty and his customer service to a charred crisp......so let's keep this thread focused on the products and not the person. I've met him before, likable enough guy, but I don't buy his gear for various reasons.

Good to hear feedback on what XJ Vendors products work and what doesn't, but more importantly, give the vendors specific feedback so they can fix problems that may arise. If they chose not to step up, they'll reap what they sow. Folks shouldn't continue to pay good money for parts that you have to re-engineer to make work.

I just wanted to add one more thing and that is if I Had to do it all again I would still purchase the rustys kit because it was the best price I could find and even though I did have to fab some extra parts it really didnt take that long there arent alot of compaines out there right now that make 8inch full kits lots of people make parts but kits seem kinda rare.

I have his 'longarm upgrade '(longarms and crossmember) shipping was ok, came in 2 boxes about 2 days apart, cant complain, seen worse:D. his system is actually well thought. but there is only one flaw, if you need to drop the xmember, kiss your font axle goodbye:D, cuz youll have nothing holding it inplace, besides the tracbar.

azxjman said:
It wasent the actuall mount that I had the problem with I guess I really need to be more descriptive it was the supports for the new crossmember they didnt fit properly and my rock sliders interfeared so there was no possible way to use the reinforcements for the frame.

So what your saying is.... You started this thread to bitch about Rusty's product. Now after you blame Rusty on a public forum, you admit that the rock sliders were the problem.:confused:

Flowers

Has anyone tried the longarm upgrade kit from Rockkrawler. Its priced pretty good at $475.00 for the upgrade kit. It only uses one upper control arm though and was wanting to know what you think. There would not be any binding off-road but what about on-road handling?

Those of you with the Rusty's Long-Arm kit, how does the crossmember hold up? Does it have a drop built in? What about the clearance compared to a stock crossmember?

Flowers said:
So what your saying is.... You started this thread to bitch about Rusty's product. Now after you blame Rusty on a public forum, you admit that the rock sliders were the problem.:confused:

Flowers

No what I was trying to say is he doesnt allow for anything else to have mods to it. If a person is ordering a 8inch long arm kit you just might think that they would have sliders already. I am not saying everyone would but most people I know have sliders and he didnt allow for them to already be on there.

xj92 said:
Those of you with the Rusty's Long-Arm kit, how does the crossmember hold up? Does it have a drop built in? What about the clearance compared to a stock crossmember?

It has a one inch drop built in but no loss in clearance I really liked that.

azxjman said:
No what I was trying to say is he doesnt allow for anything else to have mods to it. If a person is ordering a 8inch long arm kit you just might think that they would have sliders already. I am not saying everyone would but most people I know have sliders and he didnt allow for them to already be on there.

I wouldn't if I was him. I can't imagine trying to design something like a long arm suspension while worrying about every kind of rock slider out there, even custom ones.

You're saying you would rather compromise your suspension than your rock sliders? When I built my longarms I didn't even think about my sliders or skid plates. The suspension was the most important and it dictated where everything else went. I don't know your exact set up but I can't believe it was easier to fab new long arm brackets rather than adjust the rock sliders.

It actually was way easier plus I like my design better anyways It took alot less time to fab and install my design then his.

Back