• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle nut is stuck.

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to get the 36mm nut off one of the front axles on my Dana 30. The other side went OK. But this one is frick'n stuck on there!! I've been using PB, and even some heat on the nut. Unfortunautly, I don't own a compressor or impact gun.

I tried beating the snot out of my 1/2" drive breaker bar. Then I used a pipe and broke the pin on the bar and drive head. So, I bored it out just a hair to get a 5/16" grade 8 bolt in. I broke the bolt. So, I used a longer bolt in which the threads didn't start till it went all the way through the head of the bar. I cracked the drive head, so I welded the damn thing up!!!. This time, I broke it off in the socket. I had to walk away as I was ready to destroy something!

So, at this point I could use any suggestions while I go buy a new breaker bar.

AMEN to electric impacts, dewalt and black and decker make a pretty stout one, i have an OLD black and decker commercial unit, it works great. not sure if i would pur a lot of heat on it , in fear of messing with bearing, unless your trashing that one.

Buy a compressor, a good impact gun, and a good air ratchet (not those kits that come "free" with the compressor at Sears, and definitely nothing from WalMart). Sure it involves spending some money, but if you do a lot of working on your Jeep at home, you'll thank me later.

If it's that tight and you must use hand tools, the first step is to replace the broken breaker bar and socket (you DID get Craftsman tools with a warranty, right? ;) ) Then try tightening it more first, then loosen it. That should jar it loose if it's been sitting in PB for awhile.

What are you using to heat the nut? The only other option is to heat that bitch up cherry red and remove it. A propane or Mapp gas torch that's designed for plumbing is not hot enough to do anything significant.

You're going to have to really crank on that nut...IIRC proper torque is something like 180 ft-lbs and with a bit of rust it's going to seem frozen on there unless you really have some heavy tools or (preferably) an impact gun. Have fun..

The easiest way to do it is to keep the wheel on the ground, with the center cap off. When I changed my hub last fall, I used a 1/2 inch socket and a three-foot cheater bar, and I really had to jump on it to get it to loosen.

we broke a breaker bar too, i have a rigid electric impact from home depot that did the trick no problem, imo you need a good electric because my air impact has trouble with frozen lug nuts, ands thats a shop system not some wimpy backyard job

Can you get to it with a hammer? Not a big hammer, but a small ball pein. I've had good luck with this method. Medium force and just tap repeatedly all around the nut do this till it's warmed up. Spray PB every once in awhile. You'd be amazed how well it works if you stay with it.

Just a thought.

Buy a good 3/4" drive socket wrench and use a 4 ft piece of pipe

I went through a 1/2 inch craftsman and a 1/2 inch snap on last time I did this. That thing can be one tough nut to crack, as was said just keep at it, impacts work best, homemade impact (hammer and breaker bar) will eventually get it there.

goodburbon said:
I went through a 1/2 inch craftsman and a 1/2 inch snap on last time I did this. That thing can be one tough nut to crack, as was said just keep at it, impacts work best, homemade impact (hammer and breaker bar) will eventually get it there.

Mine was on tight too but my neighbor was a mechanic so he has all kinds of tools and he had a nice 3/4" drive ratchet...we used a 5ft piece of black iron pipe on it and it came loose with a little work.

Make sure you torque it back down when youre done...I learned that the bad way...I made it tight but not tight enough and I thought my hubs were going again but it was just the axle nut.

i broke a 1/2" craftsmen breaker bar doing mine way back.

x2 on the 3/4" stuff. we use them mainly on the tractor, but helps when theres stubborn bolts. we dont keep the set at the farm anymore!

This may be silly but, are turning it the right way?

Back