• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got 2 free waggys

racer122

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm sitting pretty, with 2, yes TWO, free FS Wagoneers.

My '88 XJ (4.0, auto) is currently running on some 4.10 geared stock axles (D30, D35) with open diffs (that I pulled out of an '86 with a tow package).

But, I've got these two jeeps just sitting here, begging for me to do something with them. They both have D44 fronts and AMC20 rears. I have no idea on gearing (yet).

So, if you were in this great spot, what would you do? I have had little time for real wheeling (I've got three kids, ages 2, 1 + 1 - twins). I hate to miss out on a good opportunity for upgrade, but I'm not sure I need to do this.

Any input?

Billy

Keep the Wagoneers and go wheeling in style!

Err, no.

I like my XJ, and have done some work to it already (5.5 'ish lift, 33's, and some other mild stuff). Frankly, if I didn't have that dang D35 in the rear, I'd get a lunchbox locker and be done with it for awhile.

I've been looking around for a Ford 8.8 that already has 4.10 gearing in it, but no luck so far. But since I found these Waggys, I had to put it out for the greater knowledge before I just said "no."

Oops. I pushed send before I was done. As I was saying...

Thanks for the input. I live in a place where parking is more valuable than almost anything else. I'm lucky to have parking for two cars and 3 motorcycles. I have NO WHERE else to put anything else.

Do they have good motors??

One has no motor at all, drivetrain is just transfer-case back. The other motor appears intact, but I doubt (but don't know) if the 360 is any good. I wasn't even considering anything with the motor though, so I hadn't bothered even thinking about it.

So, I thought the AMC 20 rear axle was a POS. But looking at JnJ's setup was pretty inspiring. However, if I remember right, they all came with something like 3.07 gears, right? I'm pretty handy, but think that re-gearing is a little out of my area of expertise, which takes it out of the reasonable price range and into the out of my range.

3.73s, I could live with for awhile until I could afford to regear. But lower than that, and I couldn't.

AMC Model 20s in CJs had axle shafts with a tapered spline on the outer ends, and the hubs were bolted on. Spinning a hub was a common problem. The axles in the FS Waggies and Cherokee were one-piece, with the hub integral with the shaft. No spun hubs. It's a very good axle.

Thanks, that is good to know.

I guess I need to check gear ratios on them.

I've heard the CJ AMC 20 has a weak housing, the Waggy version has not. I've seen Waggy D44's with 4,10/4,11-gears for sale.

JnJ was the rear 20 diff offset? if not what years do have these axles and dont have offsets? there are a TON of waggys at the junkyard near here, might be time to go get some waggy parts

mark said:
JnJ was the rear 20 diff offset? if not what years do have these axles and dont have offsets? there are a TON of waggys at the junkyard near here, might be time to go get some waggy parts

No, the rear 20 is not offset, it is centered. Mine is from an 81. I have never seen an offset 20, only offset 44s.

oh, ok, i just know a couple waggys i saw had offset rears, i just was only seeing waggys with 44s, so i guess its safe to say if its not offset its a 20?

mark said:
oh, ok, i just know a couple waggys i saw had offset rears, i just was only seeing waggys with 44s, so i guess its safe to say if its not offset its a 20?
There are 44s that are not offset, but they are a little harder to find then the 20.

And the AMC 20 has a very distinctive round diff cover, very unlike the 44.

Back