• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking front axel shafts after reinstallation

husker25

NAXJA Forum User
After removing the front axle shafts I notice differential fluid seeping through the axle tubes and onto the front end. I tried to make sure I didn't move the plastic "seals" that keeps junk out of the axle tubes but it just didn't seat as well as it did before I pulled the shafts. I tried pushing them back towards the axle tube but was afraid I would crack them. Any ideas?

BTW--it's a '99 auto

Last edited:
those dont stop fulid and only meant to keep large debris out of the tube, if you have a disconnect front end it is different, but on the non-discos a little oil dribbles out when you pull the shaft out and eventually seeps down the tube and out of the ends.

Replace the axle shafts, very carefully so as not to damage the seals, give it a good rinse down and if you continue to get fluid the inner seals are compromised and can only be replaced by taking the diff apart

they do that. someone makes after market seals but not sure who. i think it was in last months issue of JP mag.

I had that with mine once. but it stopped after a while. I think sometimes you either get some oil dropping off the shaft that runs out of the tube, as flexjay suggests, or perhaps a little kink in the seal that recovers after a while. I'd keep an eye on it for a time and check the level in the diff. A very little bit of oil can look like a lot when it drips out.

This is normal when removing the shafts. Unless you really jammed those shafts in, the seals should be fine. If you have ever seen these seals out of the housing you will notice they have a tappered entry way to guide the axle in and normal axle R/R doesn't seem to bother them.

Gotta love those DANA/SPICER guys, they design good stuff.

Back