• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VIBES FOR 2WD

I tried to search but could not find anything about driveline vibes on a 2wd xj. I currently own a 96xj 2wd... I am trying to set it up more for prerunning than rock crawling. I am wondering how much lift I can add before I start having problems and what I can do to fix them once I have them. I am guessing just a longer driveshaft but not sure if there is anything else.. Also I am not sure what kind of yoke I would have. Any help would be appreciated as I am still a newby

PS it is an 4.0 HO with an auto

same rules apply as with with any vehicle, you have less variables since there is no transfer case or front driveshaft, but altering the ride height at all can cause vibrations. If i were you I take my measurments of the pinion angle before and after the lift, see if it even vibrates at all. Then add shims from there, if you are going more extreme your going to need to mod or change the driveshaft.

ive got a 96 on 4.5 and it vibs at 35-45 mph, its not too bad but it gets annoying. normally if you go any higher than 5 inches your going to want to get a slip yoke eliminator and a cv drive shaft

Mine is 2wd so the is no need for the sye but what I am trying to find it is if the aftermarket cv shafts with just bolt on or do I have to have the existing shaft made longer. I am going to start with a 4.5 kit for now but I still have my bb with shackles and coil spacer. I would like to add it later when I get the money for the longarm upgrade. Trying to figure out what it will cost so that I can save accordingly. I know I will need brake lines, pitman arm, and adjust the tract bar and shocks. Did I forget anything ?

Always replace the U-joints in the driveshaft when lifting. U-joints don't like changes in their operating angles. Aside from that, you shoud have plenty of driveshaft length angle-wise. Not sure about length though. 4x4 Comanches have 12" more driveshaft than 4x4 XJs and they regularly get lifted 5" without changing driveshaft length. If you want to do it right though, it'll probably need a slight extension, maybe an inch. You shouldn't need a pitman arm, but you will need an alignment.
Jeep on!
--Pete

USE COTTER PINS. When I switched out my front 2WD "tube" to a D30 I neglected to put a cotter pin in the trackbar. DW ensued until I figured out what it was.

Change your , U-jointsthey are cheap and not to hard to do yourself. They do go bad for a number of reasons. I have had them act up at only certains speeds also. The longer you let them go the worse they will become, and could even drop your shaft while driving. I have seen that happen, it is not a good thing.

I have done the u joints on my last one and was amazed at how easy it was, but then again I went to the parts store with the drive shaft and $60 got 2 new joints and the pressed them in for me. The reason I got rid of that one was because that fixed the shaking for about a week or two then it got 10 times worse, so I just traded it in for a 4door 3years newer... I regret it now but I have 3 kids and a wife that can't drive stick, so the 2dr 4x4 with th 5spd vs. 4 door auto was a good choice. Sorry to get off topic.. a little too much coffee today.

so has anybody had any problems with vibes on a two wheel drive ? Nobody has answered my original question about the driveshaft... I am not sure if the after market drive shaft are just bolt in or do I have to replace the yoke ? This is a 2wd and everybody keeps mentioning a sye... I have no transfer case

Back