• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj starting problem

IROCthe4.0

NAXJA Forum User
im havein a bit of a problem with my jeep. it doesnt like to start from time to time. i figured it was the starter cause if i hit it with a hammer it would start. i put in a reman starter, worked for a bout a week then started doin the same things again. so i figured i got a bad starter. i took it back, got another one and its still doin it. so i took that starter back and now ive got a new bosch starter in there. still im gettin the same problem. itll start cold, i drive for a few minutes, come home, put it in park, shut it off, wont restart. i get all electrical just no cranking. i tried to start it in neutral, no good. i put in a new starter relay, didnt work. im pretty much stumped here. any help would be great.
thanx
matt

Check all your connectors on the power side for corrosion, dirt build up, loose connections, oil contamination. Do the same with the control side of the starter circuit. Make sure your starter has a good chasis ground, dirt or oil between the starter and the tranny bellhousing mounting surfaces will cause problems. If yoiu have a voltmeter, hook it up across the batt terminals and crank the engine,during cranking if the batt voltage drops below 9.6v your battery is bad.

Back