• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help removing input shaft from Signaw 800

Roughnek7

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there yall! The power steering gear box on my 86' XJ has been leaking for a while so I got the parts to fix it but I need to know how to get the input shaft out of the box itself. I've already got the snap ring out but I need to know if I have to have a puller to get the rest of it out.

If u could give me some help as soon as possible it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You really don't want to do that.
turn-turn-turn-001.jpg

just making sure. it just seems odd to me when somone post about a input shaft on a monday night at (from where i am) 10:30 at night. unfrortunely i cannot help with this situation so i am afraid that this is where we say goodbye.

Is this a power steering unit? I'll assume it is, and that it's essentially similar to the one in a 95, for which I happen to have the manual.

To replace the input shaft seals you needn't remove the whole shaft, but you must remove the snap ring and then unscrew the adjusting plug, which is the large threaded collar surrounding the shaft (uses a big pin wrench). The input shaft is a stub which keys to the worm shaft inside, and the bearings and seals are built into the plug. You can also remove the pitman (output) shaft separately without getting deeper into the box, by takin goff the bolts on the plate at the end opposite the pitman arm. Its bearings and seals are pressed into the case.

Of course, there's a whole lot of adjustment you'll have to do after taking the box apart. If you don't have that procedure, post back and someone should be able to provide it.

Back