• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone want an entire drivetrain?

jpfreak

NAXJA Member #1208
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, so my apologies in advance if it isn't.

I'm looking to pull the engine, transmission, and transfer case out of my 90 XJ. I'm also looking to lose the dash, wiring, vacuum setup, pretty much everything except the body.

The engine is a remanufactured with about 35,000 miles on it. It still has the renix fuel injection system, I just (last week) upgraded the cooling system to 91+ but it does need some work (a rear main seal, then a tune would probably clean it up). The engine is three years old now.

The AW4 has 219,000 miles on it and, as long as there's fluid in it, it shifts fine. (The tranny cooler line came off the radiator the other day, I filled the transmission back up, put the line on, and drove it home but I don't think there was enough fluid - there is some slippage, BUT it was fine before this and it's only gone 5 miles or so since then).

The transfer case is a 242, with a SYE kit installed by Ryan Brown in January or Feb. of 2005.

I'm going to pull it anyway, but if someone down in SoCal wants it, I'll drag it down and you can pretty much take what you want from it (as far as the computer/injection/vacuum setup goes). I'm looking to get $600 for the whole thing, but if I bring it down there, I'd like some help pulling the whole thing out.

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong forum but if someone wanted to do an entire swap it might be easier to do it with the two jeeps next to each other rather than just a pile of parts.

Damn - and I'm too far away to take advantage quickly...

If no-one else takes it, or takes all of it, let me know! I don't have a rig that can pull the thing around either, but I can fit an amazing amount of stuff in the back of my 88 (there's an 88 242, AW4, spare head, and a boatload of other goodies back there right now...) and I could use more parts for some restomods I've got planned.

Also, if you pull the IP cluster, control boxes, wiring, and what-have-you out - PLEASE don't cut them! I'll take those if no-one else will, one of the projects I've got on the board for myself is a redesign of the RENIX engine bay wiring, and a rework of the instrument cluster. I'd also like to get really deep into the RENIX control system - which means I'll probably end up frying a box or two - so I'll need sacrificial victims...

If you're willing to just crate everything up, I'll pick it up and swap you/pay you for it all next time I come through that way - I drive to IN once or twice a year, and my wife and I go to Northern AZ to look at property a few times a year as well. I can come up with an excuse to swing through Lost Wages...

5-90

I can pull it up there sometime in the next month or six weeks or so, if that's within your timeframe. I've got a pickup truck, I'll just get a tow dolly or something. You're welcome to every inch of wiring in the entire Jeep. Would you want the whole thing, or just the wiring?

I'd be more than willing to help you pull everything out, if you have space to do it. I have tools, but no air tools. I probably could get an engine hoist as well.

I'm in no hurry - and someone down there may need the goodies worse than I do (since they'd be restomod parts, and I'd probably end up tearing them to bits and rebuilding them myself anyhow.)

And, driving up here is a little far for you - so don't worry about that. Like I said, I can give you a heads-up on when I'd be coming through next (probably sometime later this summer, for the next) and we can work out the details then.

Meanwhile, I'd take everything I can, if you're willing. I'd be happy to take the whole thing (I need a 90 for the collection anyhow...) but I don't have room for a FIFTH rig here, and my neighbours give me enough flak as it is...

So, if no-one else takes anything, or takes everything, I'd be willing to take a good chunk of what's left - I just don't have room for another hulk running around here. I wish I had space...

Anyhow, as I'd said before, I'd be willing to take pretty much whatever you're willing to hold on to for a bit, and whatever someone else doesn't take first. Granted, I'm rather more interested in the electronics than anything else, but I could come up with uses for the rest (like being able to build the engines without downing a vehicle, for instance. That, and NP242 would be good (it would go in her rig, once I'm done with it) and the AW4 would be a "builder" as well.

Meanwhile, there's certainly no need to hurry on my account!

5-90

Well, I've got a line on pretty much all the new drivetrain parts I'm gonna need and they're up in Sacramento...so it's just enough reason to push me over the edge to go ahead with the project.

I'm not looking to sell the whole jeep, sorry.

Oh - sounded like you were. Good thing I'm not in the market to buy right now... If it was an MJ, that would be another story (or an M35 - but that's not happening right away either!)

As long as you're not in a hurry. I've got a kinda stuffed garage, and I'm hoping to have it organised by then and put the 89 Limited in there so I can start working on it, so that would kinda kill places for me/us to work on the stripper.

Still, I'd like to let people who are closer (and may be in more dire need!) to have a shot at it before I start salvaging anything, just to be fair. Let me know what doesn't go, and we can work on the logistics afterward.

5-90

Not a problem. Let me know when you're ready, I'll give it a few weeks but I'm thinking that by July 1st I'd like to have it "engineless."

Basically the only things I want to keep are:

The body (but not the hatch or the rear windows)
Suspension, Brakes, Steering (but not the power steering pump)
And...I guess that's it.

It's got a new radiator (CSF 3 row from DPG offroad) with literally 20 miles on it that I'd like to get $100 for (its a 92+ replacement) plus I have the old Modine radiator that I put in with the engine.

Sorry guys, I kinda changed my mind after finding out the engine swap requirements here in Nevada. I'll just keep it and re-do all the seals and get everything working again.

Back