• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle swap

Cmurda440

NAXJA Forum User
Im collecting parts for an axle swap on my 2000 xj, i have a ford Dana 44 hp from an 1985 f-150 and a 31 spline 9" from a ford van. Does anyone have a picture of how much more the tires will stick out with these axles, I don't want it to look to wide. Also the rear axle is one inch wider than the front, is this going to be a problem running them together? if so what are my options.

Chris

Cmurda440 said:
Im collecting parts for an axle swap on my 2000 xj, i have a ford Dana 44 hp from an 1985 f-150 and a 31 spline 9" from a ford van. Does anyone have a picture of how much more the tires will stick out with these axles, I don't want it to look to wide. Also the rear axle is one inch wider than the front, is this going to be a problem running them together? if so what are my options.

Chris

Curious as to why you are going with the Ford TTB front dana 44? That is not a straight axle. 1985 had the Twin Traction Beam as far as I know.

Kim.

85xjwoody said:
Curious as to why you are going with the Ford TTB front dana 44?
x2. Is that a typo? You don't want to use a TTB front end.

I don't know offhand if the one out of a van is any different, but a 31 spline 9" out of an F-150 or fullsize Bronco is a common full-width axle to put under an XJ.

Cmurda440 said:
...2000 xj...Dana 44 hp... is this going to be a problem?
Chris

New question from the old one.
I'm going to stick my neck out here and say, maybe, maybe not with the width issue, on that I haven't got a clue. The HP may give you clearance issues between the drive shaft, specifically the pinion yoke and the exhaust down pipes.

Cmurda440 said:
...what are my options?
Chris
If you have issues, re-route your exhaust from just below the pre-cats. It will help to flatten the tube a bit like the oem from earlier model years. The bottom "Y" will need to move around the corner at the oil pan/transmission.

Cmurda440 said:
it was a leaf sprung f-150 supercab so it is a solid axle,

Yeah, sure it was.

Back