• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extending your breathers write up done

Gojeep

NAXJA Forum User
Just another write up to the list my friends. Just showing how I extended the breather lines from both diffs, transfercase, automatic transmission and even one for the distributor cap to the top of the firewall. All topped off with fuel filters to keep the dust out.
It is in the Odds and Sods section of my web site.

Breather%20042.jpg

Great job,been wanting to relocate mine ,gives me some ideas.

Dude, you are AMAZING.

I've learned SO much from your website- and you never cease to totally blow me away sometimes.

That's "color coded" hoses, right?

I'm SURE it's just the picture lighting, but I'd SWEAR that the firewall was stainless, or something "polished".

I have dirtier "washed" dinner plates than that engine bay... how do you do it?

Thank you for teaching me (again) Sensi. Another outstanding project!

nice.. I'm always amazed a ppl just putting on the snorkel kits and going to town in the water.... It's not the only part that needs air...

Thanks for the comments guys as always good to know it has been worth the effort of recording the install and doing the write up. :)
My firewall is just the factory paint and has never been polished. Been given a bit a a scrub once a year maybe. Dont play a lot in mud so that keeps it clean as all the desert driving I do only leave sand and dust that I use my high pressure sprayer on once I get back from my trip. I usually spend 3-4 days cleaning my XJ inside and out after a month long trip and doesn't see much use the rest of the year.

Both axles need to breath, the xfer and tranny seed to breath too. When the Axles, Tranny's are hot and you get into cold water there is a succuion (sp?) that is produced because of tempo difference, the result of this is water insed those parts.
Why didn't you install unidirectional valves on top of those hoses?, I ask because if you get in deep water cross you will have water inside those pieces. The unidirectional valve get closed once the succion is produced not allowing water to get inside.
Anyways I need your page address to check were's the tranny breather. I thought that the breather was inside the shell...
Good info.

87manche said:
can't use a one way valve, then you'll have a vaccuum situation in the axle.
http://go.jeep-xj.info/
That's the website.

Thanks for the web site address.
I mentioned the oneway valve because I had a 2000 Ram and it came from the factory with one way valves in both axles breathers. They worked perfect and I never had water inside. The oneway valve won't be closed too long, it will just be open once the axles get temp agai or when the inside/out temp gets more less the same and the suction decrease.

Thanks

anyone know if or where the manual tranny breather line is? I just extended the other lines up to the top of the firewall in the engine compartment and dont want to miss that one.

AX-15 breather tube is near the top-rear of the case (passenger side?) with a rubber tube extending forward, following the wiring harness on my '95. Stone-cold-beyotch to get to it without lowering the trans/TC/crossmember a few inches....or have tiny hands that can squeeze up in there...I don't. That's the only line I haven't "remoted" yet.

A small amount of positive presure would be nice and easy after doing all that. Just couple all together after the filters and put one more between them and the PCV valve and be done.

Bringing back yet another old thread. I live in SW Fla and 6 months out of the year I'm practically underwater, especially as close to the coast as I am. Has anybody tried this? Can you tell any difference when you change your fluids of seals? Always looking for ways to water proof my rig. I'm a LEO and in certian hurricane situations, we're allowed to use our POVs if they prove to be more capable that the Crown Vics.

What seals are you talking about? Where the line terminates at the firewall? I was thinking about replacing those with crank case filters or something like that?

Axle seals, pinion seals. Install one backwards and report back. You really think if 90wt gear oil will pour out, that water won't pour in?

Just get some diff covers with drain plugs and deal with the maintenance headaches, or do what I do and stay out of deep water and mud.

Back