• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow points

Roads

NAXJA Forum User
I need to get some tow points for the front. I was thining about getting the Rusty's kit. And yes I'm getting hooks and brackets. Any other good tow points out there? Should I go hook or D-ring? What are the advantages and disadventages?

I would go w/ hooks over say a front hitch and d-ring setup, if thats what you referring to...I tend to like the hooks over a receiver but just my opinion. But as far as hooks and brackets take a look at custom4x4fabrication.com. I have a set from them and they have withstood everything ive threw at them....

X2 on the c4x4 set, i got a set and there awsome.

I like the front reciever hitch better than tow hooks. I think its a stronger overall system because it spreads the forces to both frame rails. I prefer the DrawTite hitch because its completely hidden behind the air dam.

I love my front drawtite, I like a hitch better I feel it ties the unibody together and makes things a bit stronger.

Without getting a front bumper, a receiver hitch or detours backbone system is the most solid way to do front recovery.

Tow hook brackets aren't bad, I've put a ton of load on them and they are still pretty straight! Personally I don't love the hooks though, which is why I've switched over to shackles on my towhook brackets. It's just easier for recovery, the strap doesn't fall off when you have to back up and make another go at it. I've ruined two straps by having the strap come halfway off of the hook and then the tip of the hook skewered it.

I'm probably not the average wheeler though. Also I find that the hooks limit my approach angle, but keep in mind I'm at 3" 31s and try obstacles that locked front and rear guys on 35s have trouble with. Sometimes I make it up!

so yeah, they work well, but they are not the only option out there.

I had no tow points on the front of my XJ, so i bought a front hidden hitch wich turned out to NOT be so hidden. I took it to a local welding shop and had it re-worked into this. A full size hook will fit through the rings and i can also hook up a shackle to it. I still have pleanty of ground clearence.
100_6362.jpg

x2 for the Detours Backbone system. I wanted to keep the stock look, so they made me one w/o the winch plate. Strengthens the front end and doesn't hang down low.

Back