• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HomeBrew Trackbars

Just understand that there is an incredible amount of force on a track bar.So build it burly. I have personally broken 2 frame mounts. Make sure it's inline with the suspension to minimize bump steer. And a bushing/heim system seems to take the abuse a little better. And if it comes loose or a bushing wears out. Get ready for death wobble. Unless you have hydro assist which will only hide the problem until everything including ball joints wear out.

Would bushings on either end be bad??? I'm thinking of trying to fab one up out of an old trac bar and then modify a stock mount to be double shear. Why don't people use bushings on either end?? because the axle doesn't move in a plane? Wouldn't a rubber bushing be able to deal with that??

Frank Z said:
I'll probably stick with the stock rubber bushing on the axle side, I'm just not 100% sure on which direction to take on the frame side yet.

I'm in the same boat. I've been pondering making my own, but want to have a solid design in mind before I begin.

I know a lot of people use the heim type joints up on the frame...but I'm not a huge fan of them. Anyone have any oppinions about using rubber at both ends??

The axle moves in more ways than you an imagine. No matter how much you spend on control arms and how they are aligned. It's not so much how much it moves but the pressure involved. If it's a hard mount like heim/heim you risk ripping welds and the mount to the frame not to mention premature failure of them resulting in loud "clunking" There needs to me some cushion. Unless you are going to do a triangulated 4 link use a bushing on one end... If you use bushings on both ends there could be slop (death wobble) one heim/one bushing should get you the best result. If anyone disagrees (which you may) feel free to say it.

Gunner

here is the one i made out of a stock one, 6 inches of adjustment with some re bends added.
DSCN0297.jpg

different shot
DSCN0295.jpg

any Q's just ask

After bending two, I finally made my last one out of 1-3/8" solid.

Frank Z said:
What were the two bent ones made out of?
1st: 1.25"X.120" wall
2nd: 1.25"X.250 wall

I made mine using solid 1.25",
well with exception of an inch, haha
longtrac.jpg

Flame if you will, but its only an inch and it worked until the day I parked it

Gunner said:
The axle moves in more ways than you an imagine. No matter how much you spend on control arms and how they are aligned. It's not so much how much it moves but the pressure involved. If it's a hard mount like heim/heim you risk ripping welds and the mount to the frame not to mention premature failure of them resulting in loud "clunking" There needs to me some cushion. Unless you are going to do a triangulated 4 link use a bushing on one end... If you use bushings on both ends there could be slop (death wobble) one heim/one bushing should get you the best result. If anyone disagrees (which you may) feel free to say it.

Gunner

gunner, thanx, that makes sense and answers my question. Now I guess I know why just about every tracbar out there has a heim and a bushing!!

Steagall, just wondering why you went with putting the adjustable end by teh axle and kept the TRE?? The idea I have in my head would be opposite, adjustable up at the frame and use a TRE or something up there.

Back