• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan Ideas

AllXJ96

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my jeeps been running a little hot a stop lights (i live in south florida ) i was thinking about putting an electric fan between the front grille and the radiator. Has anyone done this, and if so, where did you get the fan, i was thinking the junkyard, but every fan was too large, i will also put a manual switch inside the cab. Any ideas or comments welcome, thanks alot

-Coop

instead of modifying your Jeep why not figure out why it's overheating in the first place? Have you checked the mechanical fan clutch? Is your radiator half plugged?
Fix the cause of your overheat, don't just toss another fan at it.

Its not overheating, and i just replaced the hoses, thermostat, and radiator, the highest it goes is 235deg, im just looking for a way to help keep it a little kooler @ stop lights in this 95+deg weather

AllXJ96 said:
Its not overheating, and i just replaced the hoses, thermostat, and radiator, the highest it goes is 235deg, im just looking for a way to help keep it a little kooler @ stop lights in this 95+deg weather
Cooling problems at stop lights...sounds like mechanical fan clutch problem. How's that holding up for you?

Um, 235 is damn near overheating and you should find out why.

Given the symptoms, I'd start with the fan clutch as well. They typically (read: in most applications) have a useful service life of about five years. The longest I've seen one last on an XJ is 3-1/2, I usually replace them every three, whether they need it or not. I'll sign and date maintenance parts when I replace them, so I can stay on schedule (handy, with four rigs.)

Second also the Water Wetter - I use it every time.

And, when was the last time the system got flushed? There's probably rust, scale, and assorted crap in there, and it doesn't take much to seriously degrade cooling efficiency. If it's been more than two years - or if you just don't know, you might want to consider doing that as well. You might see a significant drop in operating temperature.

As an aside, most people who have converted to all electric fans have eventually return to the mechanical and electric (OEMR) setup - apparently, few electric fans are able to supply the airflow that is needed over the radiator core. As I recall, MachineMan has a successful conversion using Derale units - you might want to check with him.

5-90

I love my twin electrics and will never go back to a mechanical setup and lose the mileage and hp!
Must be done right though and not the mistakes so many made of using a fan to replace the old mechanical one with less than 2000 cfm. See my site on how I have ran mine perfectly for several years and mid summer desert crossings while towing.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

Gojeep said:
I love my twin electrics and will never go back to a mechanical setup and lose the mileage and hp!
Must be done right though and not the mistakes so many made of using a fan to replace the old mechanical one with less than 2000 cfm. See my site on how I have ran mine perfectly for several years and mid summer desert crossings while towing.

www.go.jeep-xj.info

I agree with Gojeep regarding the CFM. I replaced both of my fans with the twin Derale (a bit pircey) rated 4,000 CFM and have made it through 3 summers in Miami trafic with the AC at full blast. The 4.0 stays cooler now than with the OEM setup and more fuel efficient. I am out of the on a contract all year so I cannot give you more information.

Back