• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New coil springs- Are these right?

SCW

NAXJA Forum User
I hit the local Pick-n-Pull this morning looking for some V8 coils off of a Grand Cherokee, but there was only one Grand and the coils had been hit. Later I found an XJ that had been lifted once, so I decided to chance it and grab the coil springs, I can tell they are different than the stock XJ spring, but I'm not sure what they are or how much lift to expect. I only want 2-2.5 inches, really don't want to deal with the SYE right now.

Here they are- uncompressed length is 18.5 inches, I haven't had any XJ springs apart to see what the uncompressed length is yet.

P1030731.jpg

P1030730.jpg

uncompressed length doesnt matter because spring rate is what lets them sag

the v8 grand coils are shorter than xj coils, but they give lift

hmm. So at this point I need to put them in to see what kind of lift they will provide, eh? they are definatlely not stock, but the front end of the donar vehicle had been scavanged so much that it wan't really possible to see how much lift it had. Rear axle and springs were also scavanged, lending more weight to me thinking this had been at least somewhat built up at one time.

It only took a minute to get them out, but I'd hate to put them in my Jeep only to have too much lift and pull them back out again. I guess it's time to start with the PB Blaster all over and get it done.

Those look very similar to the progressive rate coils that I sell, which give 2" lift. I'd say give them a try.

To me those do look like 2" lift progressive rate coils, but I can't remember what the height of them is uncompressed.
SCW said:
I only want 2-2.5 inches, really don't want to deal with the SYE right now.

I'd hate to put them in my Jeep only to have too much lift and pull them back out again
The need for an SYE isn't caused by lifting the front, it's the rear that would cause you to need an SYE. So even if they lift more than you want right now, you could still use them. You'll want to do the things that go along with lifting the front more (brake lines, caster adj., longer shocks, etc...) but you won't have to bother with an SYE. If you try to lift the rear to match, that's where you may need to worry about an SYE.

nhrocker said:
To me those do look like 2" lift progressive rate coils, but I can't remember what the height of them is uncompressed.

The need for an SYE isn't caused by lifting the front, it's the rear that would cause you to need an SYE. So even if they lift more than you want right now, you could still use them. You'll want to do the things that go along with lifting the front more (brake lines, caster adj., longer shocks, etc...) but you won't have to bother with an SYE. If you try to lift the rear to match, that's where you may need to worry about an SYE.

Do you see alot of XJs driving around with a lift up front and not out back................:dunno:

91 Jeep Project said:
Do you see alot of XJs driving around with a lift up front and not out back................:dunno:
Actually, yeah I do...either that or lifted rear and stock front...but I live in a pretty redneck, backwoods, get-r-done kinda place....:laugh3:

nhrocker said:
Actually, yeah I do...either that or lifted rear and stock front...but I live in a pretty redneck, backwoods, get-r-done kinda place....:laugh3:

LOL, well, even when I lived 90 miles from the nearest gas station I wasn't that red-neck.

Thanks for the help, I hope to try it this week.

Back