• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 axle differances?

AJPulley

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe one of you with more knowledge on axles than I can give me a hand. Is there any differences between a D30 in an 86 and 87 XJ? Ive read somewhere that later models have disk or knuckle differences, or something to that effect.

I found one that is 4.10 and complete, and mine is a 3.07. It's not the way I'd like to go, but it is the best option for now, time and money wise. Both are disco, which I am staying with. Upgrades will come later, but if everything is the same, I'll have a few spare parts for the time being.

I know what I want as an end result, but it's not happening any time soon. So please, I'm not asking for opinions on upgrade suggestions. Just asking what, if any, differences to expect if anyone knows.

I believe the change in the hubs /brakes/steering knuckles came with the 1990ish model year (meaning some 90s may have the old style and some may have the newer style)

86 -> 87 'should be' the same components... however some of the pre-4.0ls with the fulltime case had CV axles vs the more common u-joint style. (if those CV knuckles/hubs/brakes are the same as their UJ counterparts, I don't know)

langer1 said:
Well you can't use the gears, so what parts do you need?
The whole thing is going in place of mine. I'll use my shafts and hubs as spares, for now.

woody said:
I believe the change in the hubs /brakes/steering knuckles came with the 1990ish model year (meaning some 90s may have the old style and some may have the newer style)

86 -> 87 'should be' the same components... however some of the pre-4.0ls with the fulltime case had CV axles vs the more common u-joint style. (if those CV knuckles/hubs/brakes are the same as their UJ counterparts, I don't know)
If it turns out to have the CVs, I won't bother.

langer1 said:
You can't use it with those gears though. My 87 has u-joints
I'm not re-using the gears. Gears are going to stay in the axle if I get it. I want the 4.10s in the front. The 44 I put in will get regeared when I do the rear.

BTW, anyone know what determined if they had a CV or U-joint? Woody indicated maybe pre-4.0s with the 242?

Last edited:
It's a straight swap. My 1989 Comanche has had XJ D30 axles swapped in from both a 1987 and a 1986 XJ. The first swap was to get 4.10 gears. It was cheaper to grab a set of axles from a 4-cyl XJ at the pull-n-save than to regear. The second D30 swap was shortly after an unexpected aerial excursion which bent the housing. The tube was 1/2 closer to the ground in the middle than the ends and it was making funny noises.

Back